final thread, HELP!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by bernard&*, Apr 29, 2004.

1. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

Hello! everyone,I'm from philippines.This type of hobby to my country is very expensive, from low end to high end stuff.Even I choose this DIY route still passion for me,but I'm very thankful that there is, Mr.Tim forman to lighten it(he'll bring the stuff for me,here).Btw here is my plan.I'm going to build a subwoofer with tempest driver and PEplate-amp(#300-794)
    and the adire alignment design is my route. With the volume of 214liters/tuned to 15.4hz and a pair of 3"precision flaredport kit with 11"center tube.But,im going change the shape of the cabinet ,and here is the internal box measurement
    as I worked from Winisd 18.5"Wx26.5"Hx26.64"D(legs not included).In this result
    I'm more concerned with the "width" and "height" of the enclosure, so I'll stick with that numbers,then I'll worked for the "depth" for any volume adjustment...And here are my question.
    1.is my choosen enclosure (adire alignment)is best for me?I listen to music most of the time ,but if I watch movie I want the real thing.
    2. Is my box desire measurement correct with respect to Winisd?
    3. How to compute the volume of the back of the driver, when placed to the enclosure?
    4. How to compute stuffing(polyfill)volume?(any replacement material)
    5. Do I need to build chamber for the PEplate amp(part#300-794)?
    6. How to compute the volume of the bracing (with airholes) used inside?also in this type of enclosure,is two layer of bracing ,is enough to hold the pressure inside?
    7. with a pair of 3"flared port and 11" center tube,
    do you think ,I'm free from any port noise?
    All this question will be tough for me.all your suggestion and answer will be appreciated and if theres any one could worked for my desired measurement, i'm very well thankful.I dont want to loose this sub "BASS" project.But if ever, this will be my frustration.

Mabuhay!
    Bernard

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds okay with me.. but, I'm not a Tempest owner. Someone here will "pipe" up with an answer to that one. (lol... I crack myself up!)

But, with ports, generally the wider the better is a good idea to avoid port noise. With a sub you really don't need to worry much about waves standing in the tube since the wavelengths you're dealing with are many feet in length. It's more a challenge to avoid the sound of air chugging through the ports.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. And don't call any of us when it comes time to move it. [​IMG]

3. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

hi!
    the driver displacement, enclosure calculation will be 5liters=305cu.in.(from adire white paper)as i calculate the total volume of adire alignment it appear that 214l for the box volume 5 liters for the driver displacement and 1 liter for bracing with the actual total volume of 220 liters .am I right[​IMG]
    If I'm going to use a pair of 4"flared port(feel safer from port noise), how long will be my center tube?, with respect to my enclosure.