Final Purchase Decision Need Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed it down to the STR-DA2ES, and would like to know what the differences are between the 4es and 2es other than amplification. Does the 2es have the same bass managment as the 4es? Is the display led dots like the 4es i notice that the dolby digital sympol on crutchfield is red on the 4es and white on the 2es, is that a display model and not the final product, i know that sounds stupid but i like the colored lights. Anyone that has the 2es could you explain your display layout. Does it have the full equilizer like the de985. What am I going to be missing out by not purchasing the STR-DA4ES. Thanks for your help guys! Im not worried about the power between the two, because they both have preouts. What I am looking for is feature diff.

2. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help.

3. Jeff_Blanch

Jeff_Blanch Agent

Brian, I have been researching the 2ES and 4ES for a while. As far as I have been able to tell, the processing section of the 2ES is nearly identical to the 4ES, which means that it will have the same bass management as well as EQ settings. The 4ES adds the seventh channel, and 10 more watts per channel in its rating with lower THD. Everyone says that the amps are stronger in the 4ES, but you already said that it isn't as important. What the 4ES does give with its 7 channels is the ability to use Sony's digital cinema modes for all 7 channels. It will derive a stereo signal for the two surround back channels from 5.1 or 6.1 material. The 4ES also adds another S-video input, another coaxial digital input and another optical input. You also get video sent to the second room. The 4ES also has the RS-232 port for upgrades (they have already released one for the 4ES). The remote is also more fancy, but no learning capability that the 2ES's has. The 4ES also has the removable power cord if that matters to you. The displays are essentially the same. I've seen both units, but didn't notice the colors. I was going to go with the 2ES until the SO approved the funds for the 4ES. I haven't bought it yet, but will as soon as my tax return comes in.

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I just bought a da2es yesterday and am happy with it so far. I have noticed things on movies that I never heard before. I wish I could have purchased the da4es but I don't have the space for it. That sucker is almost 20 in deep! I also had the funds ok'd by better half but it just wouldn't fit[​IMG] I was trying to decide between it(da2es) and a Denon. They both sounded the same to me but the Sony won because of the 5 year warranty. Anywho, it seems to me they really didn't upgrade a lot of features on the da4es they just made it better. More "heavy duty" I guess you could say.