Final Picks for HT system-Comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zena, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Zena

Zena Auditioning

Okay, after over a month of reading & researching numerous products in our price range I think we have a short list. I think. Trying to understand the different product features and what WE need now AND what we may need in the future has been hard to judge ....# of component video inputs, S-video outputs, digital in/outputs, watts, etc....
    Keep in mind, this is a budget system by most of your standards (but gosh, seems a lot to me since I had other house projects!) and will be used for a home theatre room set up with a new Mistubishi 48"HDTV widescreen. Aaannd that this is all a whole new level of exp. for us. Here goes:

A/V Reciever - Sony STR-DE685 -Price ranges $230-$299
    (*we seriously looked at the Sony 885 but don't think we need all the x-tra digital outputs etc.- Also on short list was the Pioneer VSX-D711).

Speakers- Onkyo SKSKT500-5 speakers & Subwoof $269@ CC.
    (*my husband loved the sound and they got great reviews but I do wish they were smaller.)

DVD Player -JVC Multiformat Progressive Scan XV-S500BK-$159
    (nixed the 5disc player idea after advice to cut down on moving parts and just to get another DVD player for music upstairs where we entertain...sounded logical to me.)

Comments or opinions? Anything I need to worry about...compatibility issues....something else to consider...?

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

OK, I would seriously go with the pioneer receiver over the sony, also look at the onkyo sr-500 receiever. I cannot comment on the speaker selection becuase i have never seen or heard these. If size is a concern, i would recommend having a look at the psb alpha intro system. they sound very very good! the dvd player will be fine, pretty well any lower priced dvd player is pretty good, with the exception of apex! they are just poorly made. but seriously think on the sony thing, i have had numerous sony products in the past few years and all were substandard. just my opinions tho! and also, look on ebay, there are lot's of smokin deals for more expensive equipment for the same price you are looking at! hope this helps.

3. Zena

Zena Auditioning

Thanks I'll check the speakers out! We looked at the Onkyo 500 but it's number of component video inputs was "0". We need at least one. The Sony and the Pioneer both have 2.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would also recommend the Pioneer over the Sony. The Sony ES line has a very good reputation and are very well built. The Sony DE line are very poorly built, use inferior components, and have a very bad reputation on this board. I think you would be much happier with the Pioneer 811S. It is a great receiver, and in my opinion, the best receiver for under $400.
    Also, i would recommend the JBL NSP1 package. They're about the same size as the Onkyo package (the mains are a bit smaller), and will sound alot better. They are available online as low as $250 shipped. Add a Sony SA-WM40 sub to the mix, and you'll have an overall better system.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

yeah, the sony sub is great. check out the modifications that can be done, and you will have a smokin sub. but I would still chcek out the psbs, also athena technologies has a great systems as well. cant remember the name tho!