Final "Once & Again" episode 4/15/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just a reminder that "Once & Again"'s final episode on ABC will be on tonight!

I really doubt it'll be picked up by another network (major, or cable).

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, take this with a huge boulder of salt:
    http://www.drudgereport.com/mattoa.htm
    With a poor crop of pilots for the fall lineup, ABC might vacillate once more and call the cast back for season 4 (it's a big longshot, though).

4. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The WB and UPN "netlets" simply don't have as many stations as the majors, they don't cover the entire country, and they don't all put the shows on at the regular times. For example, you can have a Fox affiliate showing Buffy at midnight on Sundays. If you take any major network show and move it to the minors, the ratings will go down.

Also, the ratings you hear about, whether they're overnights or nationals, don't necessarily reflect the ratings in the coveted 18-49 demographic (or whatever demo the network is interested in).

//Ken

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    It's so sad. . .it's like your friends are moving away.

7. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's pretty obvious that Lily is pregnant again.
    [​IMG]

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Spoilers below:

Pretty interesting send-off of a fabulous show:

Karen decides to finally let Henry into her heart (her kids definitely prodded her along the way).

Sam and Rick get the offer of a lifetime: to design hotels for Colins in Australia. The snag is that Lily is getting test syndicated in the top 10 radio markets for her show. This causes plenty of friction between Lily and Rick

Jake proposes to Tiffany, and after much cajoling, she accepts, but doesn't quite trust him still. Tiffany sees Jake fooling around innocently at the Book Lovers restaurant, and wants to call off the wedding. Jake tells her that the lady was dropping off the engagement ring. This placates Tiffany. Their wedding is planned rather quickly. Tiffany still has second doubts, find Lily in a bout of nausea in a back room of the restaurant where the wedding take place, and Lily comes through with a nice bit of advice: When you get married you throw away the road map and you just do the best you can together.

The wedding goes off without a hitch, and it's interspliced with Karen seeking out Henry who's at the baseball field doing some game prep for the field. They lock eyes, and finally share a tender kiss. The wedding ceremony brings Sam and Judy closer, as well as Jessie and her girlfriend. Rick is an utter mess after the wedding. Lily finds him, and he takes her into a back storage room and tells Lily what an idiot he has been, how the wedding solidify that he can't live without being with Lily, and Lily is willing to give up the radio gig for Rick, and Rick is willing to give up the design job for her. Then Lily drops the bomb on Rick: She's pregnant.

So, we, the audience is left with no real indication of what the Samlers will be doing, except that a new Samler will be coming down the pike in nearly 9 months time.

Fade the wrap-up and it was quite fun to see how the actors thought of the show, and the relationships they created from being on the show, and the teasing between them was nice to see.

Pretty interesting that last season ended with a wedding, and so did this season.

All in all, a good farewell episode, and there's still that glimmer of hope that it could springboard into a few more seasons if some network is smart enough to pick it up for a 4th season.

10. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

I thought using the B&W "breakouts" at the end of the show, to allow the actors and producers to express their feelings about its demise, was incredibly courageous, touching, and a fitting conclusion to such a personal series.
    As much as tv programs are just so much grist for the entertainment mill, everytime a cancellation notice is issued, it means a whole lotta people are losing their jobs, and the security, friendships and assocations that come with any steady gig.
    After a few episodes this past season that had me rolling my eyes and almost reaching for the remote, I thought tonight's series' finale got back to its core strength, quietly telling the stories of the complexity of human relationships.
    I'll miss the show, and especially Lilly's sister[​IMG]

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

12. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Yes, the inclusion of the breakouts at the end was a very nice touch and fitting ending to the show. I really liked Edward Zwick's comment that he was afraid no one would hire him as an actor. He was quite good as the therapist.

I would love to see another network pick this show up, but remember no network picked up Sports Night or Freaks and Geeks, despite fan outpouring of support.

13. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Was a very good series and was a great finale; I don't get caught up in the storyline like my wife, but I do enjoy good entertainment; while at times this series bored me with apathy for some characters, for the most part I will miss having it on.