What's new

Final Fantasy XII (1 Viewer)

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
So, who else has played this? What do you think?

I just picked it up today, and the fact that it used the old school FF music in the opening scenes made me ridiculously happy. I've played for about four minutes now and forsee not sleeping tonight ;) The opening FMV is *outstandingly* beautiful.

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
I feel retarded playing this game so far (about 20 min. into it). The battle system better pick up, I can't stand the whole press attack and wait for your character to do something thing. If they were gonna make it like that, they should have stuck with the turn based attacks. That, and the stupid right thumbstick going the wrong way. That really annoys me. Other than those two things, so far it is a beautiful game!

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I feel like the battle system is definitely going to take some getting used to, you are right - because it's so not like the old FF way. I am hoping when I get to the point where you can learn combos (gambits? whatever?) and magic that it will get more...well, intuitive, I guess. Because the first few times I've done it now, I feel certain that I must be doing something wrong. We shall see!

But, oh, it's so *pretty* though!

Jeff_A_G

Stunt Coordinator
The graphics are top notch for the ps2, but I'm used to my 360 and gamecube running of the components so they didn't blow me away. I'm starting to get used to turning right to go left and vise-versa, and if you go to the config screen and turn the battle speed all the way up it fixes the lagging battle system. After a few hours of playtime, I can really see where this battle system is going to shine. It's adding a new depth to the fighting and involving the players a little bit more. Plus I've noticed a small amount of AI in the teaming up of enemies. I have a feeling this is going to be another well rounded masterpiece by squaresoft (or SquareEnix, whatever)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I think the battle system will improve with experience, but right now, I too am annoyed with the "press attack and wait" while the enemy gets to hack away at my HP. I also tend to get a bit lost with the "turn left to walk right" control system, especially after a battle.

I just saved the game in the Palace, where the Gatestone suggests I save in a new spot. I have a question: should I have done some shopping for weapons and armor upgrades in the city before I got to this point? I just followed the various quests in Dalmastre without ever entering any of the shops. How should I be "tricked out" at this point?

Anyone else have the Collectors Edition from GameStop with the bonus DVD? I only watched the "History of FF" segment so far, which made me nostalgic for FF2 and 3.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't worry too much about how tricked out you are that point. I was level 9 when I entered the palace but that's because I spent some time battling creatures around Rabanastre. I also did a few of the hunting quests for my Clan and got some decent coin out of it which allowed me to pick up some decent weaponry/armor. None of this is a necessity though and you'll have plenty of time to concentrate on such things. The game will let you know when you're underpowered.;)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Thanks for the info! BTW, I meant to say Robanastre, not Dalmastre. Don't know what I was thinking early this morning...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I just got a copy for Christmas, but I have some problems:

*Buttons R1, R2, R3 (combo of 1 & 2), L1, L2, L3, select, and Square Do Nothing!

*Triangle will only work to recap dialogue. I will not summon "Party menu".

Needless to say I am stuck w/ Vann in the first town. (Rek's mini-game doesn't need to use any of those buttons).

The FF12 forum suggest I replace my archaic PS2 controller (1st gen), with a new model. But they said my old PS2 should be fine?!?!

So I'm going to buy a new controller tomorrow. Then it'll work, or its going back for a refund (case I'm not buying a new PS2 to play 1 game).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Trust me: the Gambit system will come in handy during later battles. It's ridiculous how much stragety is involved in this game compared to earlier FF's. You'll get to the point where you will have to turn off some gambits and leave others on.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OK, bought a new controller and the game works just fine now.

Why one Sony controller would do better than the same model is beyond me (maybe because I bought a green one?)

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I hoped to play it last week, but I ended up getting Zelda...so i dont know if I'll ever play it.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It's going to be hard returning to a turn-based system after this.

I believe most people who slam gambits haven't gotten far enough into the game to utilize them properly. You probably won't see the true beauty of their strategic possibilities until you are at least 20 hours in ... I love being able to wander a landscape and encounter my enemies real-time and fluidly... no more of that "crashing noise and all action stops as I fight a random battle" every ten seconds. I feel much more CONNECTED to the landscape - no longer is it a pretty wasteland dotted with invisible foes.

But regardless, FFXII does employs a "turn-based" system, just with more control. I can avoid certain battles - while other enemies are simply too large or too quick to avoid an attack. And it's all something you can SEE, in front of your eyes, on the desert, beach or castle. I can't gush enough about the integration of "wandering" and "fighting".

If you compare it to a hack & slash like Zelda, you might think you're "waiting" (to attack, or use an item, or use magic) but the truth is (as someone mentioned above), this system keeps all the best strategic elements in place from traditional RPGs, while still allowing for the excitement of real-time engagements. Assuredly, the enemy WILL get its turn. This is no twitch-fest. But as you get more powerful, your speed increases and you'll be destroying lesser baddies without so much as a hint of counter-attack, and without having all the action STOP for some random encounter.

Think of it as a mix between Zelda's real-time fights, Grandia's timer-system and of course, the traditional "plan-it-out" arena battles. This game's system is an utter revelation, but after years and years of traditional random battles, it makes sense that people are resisting it.

In areas where I'm comfortable with particular enemies, I've even taken to programming unique gambit combinations and allowing a gambit even for my party leader (!), so I just have to approach an enemy to start the cycle (especially with other party members' top gambits set to "attack party leader's target". Somehow circling an enemy, knowing you can flee, knowing you can override any command at any time, real time - it's addictive. And even with all gambits on, it feels MUCH less "automatic" than the random battles of the past. And I love happening upon the strange clan-hunt creatures.

There's nothing like wandering the sewers, attacking some neutral fish, and then having it chase you out of the water and up the stairs to kick your ass!

I don't own a next-generation console, nor do I own an HDTV, so this game still looks quite beautiful to me.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm about 76 hours into the game and nowhere near the end. I like how the hunts and sidequests add a little spice to the overall story. Definitely my second favorite FF of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks