Final Fantasy X sales pass the million in the US

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Feb 5, 2002.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

"This morning Square EA announced that Final Fantasy X has sold more than one-million units in North America. This combined with the units shipped in Japan (FF X and FF X International) makes the game one of the top-selling PlayStation 2 games with a total of 4 million units overall"

hmmmm...impressive and im sure it'll do reasonably well in Europe too. Maybe it'll go someway to helping Square recover their losses from the movie!

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Go FFX! Save Square!

Now we just wait to see what FFXI will do...

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'm so glad the US doesn't read Edge. I dread to think what they'd think of its 6/10 just-above-average 'drubbing' (as some people have called it) of the game.

As many will probably ask, it basically confirms that everything I didn't like when I tried previous FF games is still present - the constantly interrupting random battles that only serve to level up your characters, the limited ways you can perform that levelling up, the excessive amount of either badly written or at least terribly translated FMV sections (even if they are poorly spoken rather than just subtitled this time) and the painfully linear nature of the story.

Still, its a beauty and seems to have whatever magical quality it is that attracts its fans, so if you like this sort of thing, then this is the sort of thing that you'll like.

Also, don't worry if you're offended; between giving WipEout Fusion 5/10, SSB:Melee 6/10 and another 6/10 for Return To Castle Wolfenstein, they seem to have been rather even in their sacred cow burger selling over the last few months.

5. Iain Lambert

On second thoughts, this could well be interpreted as a thread fart. I think both the sales figures and Edge's review are interesting news items, so if Dan The Admin (or anyone else) wants me to break this off to a new thread just say so.

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Edge are to busy wan**ng all over the X-box to look at anything else. [​IMG] They Gave Smash Bros 6? They're even harder to please than they were when I used to buy it.
    Dan (UK)
    PS: As for Wipeout, well....I'm going to get it at the Weekend to see for myself.

7. Iain Lambert

Thats something I'm glad to hear, as a big wip3out fan. Edge basically slagged it for not handling as well as either wip3out or 2097, and the whole thing feeling far too random this time.

It does seem, after losing their load with Halo: Combat Evolved, that they are intent on holding up every bad X-Box game they can find for ridicule - Dark Summit last month had gameplay that was 'not just bad, but almost non-existent', and this month Kabuki Warriors records the magazine's first ever 1/10 score.

The Smash Brothers score is the same they gave the original N64 version, as they think the 1-button fighting is too simplistic. Or, as you or I would say, easy enough for a mate to pick up without suffering the kind of embarassment that means that games like the DoA and Tekken series often sit on the shelf. The Edge forum nearly rioted at the score, as the review seemed to ignore the multiplayer aspect that is the main point of the game.

They still write great articles though, so thats something.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Digitiser (page 480 on Channel 4 teletext) slagged off wipeout this week in their review, 1 out of 5 I believe. Official Playstation 2 magazine loved it, as did Iain Lee on Thumb Bandits. It's getting a real mixed response...
    Er, back to FFX. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

9. Iain Lambert

To take the thread even further away from Final Fantasy sales figures, its funny you should mention Iain Lee. My username on the Edge boards, where they don't have our eminently sensible 'real name' rule, is iainl (i.e. my email name). I logged on yesterday to find out that half the board seems convinced that I'm Iain Lee, and blames me for everything controversial the guy's ever said! Which for Iain Lee is a fair bit...
    [​IMG]