What's new

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within - Officially a flop? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that Sakaguchi was thinking of making a movie with the same characters but in different roles. An example he used was a mob movie in which Gray is a mob boss and Aki is a cop trying to bring down Gray's group. The group members would be the Deep Eyes squad and the film would take place in an entirely different setting. Neato, if they can pull it off.
If they make another movie, they could make it in less than half the time of the first film and make it look just as good, if not better, since they have a lot of staff and the studio already set up.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That explanation doesn't account for it doing poorly in Japan where the 'normals' of anime are most definitely accepted & known.
Because it was CG, only Pixar properties have succeeded in Japan with CG. Otherwise they avoid it in droves. They should have made it anime with CG backgrounds, then it would have been a-cheaper and b-very popular in Asia.
Oh, and Morgan, you'll appriciate the nuances of Pixar's films more in a few years. I consider Lasseter and Miyazaki to be on equal footing (and they feel the same about each other's work), just in totally different genres of the field
I hate to say this, because it makes me feel old, but you're in an in-between age where you miss this kind-of stuff.
Jeff Kleist

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-
I'm actually VERY lucky that I haven't been grounded for life. Then again, after having seen the opening a million times (it used to be his 'demo') I think he would understand. Plus I like anime and he hates it, so I think he understands our different tastes.
I will probably appreciate Pixar's films later down the road. I love their films, but the fact that they took this great technology and are using it to entertain kids while throwing a message or two into the mix disturbs me a bit. Final Fantasy took it beyond the next level and tried to make it realistic looking (and some parts succeeded). Not just that, but FF tried to put in a storyline that went deeper with its themes than TS, TS2, etc. without needing a happy ending for the audience to walk away from the film with a smile. I hope that as the quality of CGI increases, so do the films as films for everyone. I heard Shrek looked great and had some really good jokes that appealed to everyone, and I am looking forward to that (and Monsters Inc., mainly because of its originality and the two main characters' voices).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--- I heard Shrek looked great and had some really good jokes that appealed to everyone, and I am looking forward to that ----
Well, if you think Toy Stories 1 & 2 lack substance and meaningful themes, then you are going to be totally disappointed with "Shrek". I didn't mind it but I certainly don't think it was nearly as good as Pixar's efforts. All that stuff about taking stabs at Disney was overblown....any so-called "stabs" were nothing but love taps.
One thing about some of the comments regarding how poorly written "Final Fantasy" was. I think it is pretty funny to read comments like that and then people actually look forward to new movies involving "BattleStar Galactica"...IMO.
laugh.gif

------------------

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---I love Battlestar Galactica! ----
You have my sympathy! :)......actually I am just joking, I mean...what the hell....most people thought the story to "Titan AE" sucked shit and I kinda liked it (the movie that is) :) .....so who am I to talk!
------------------

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I cannot see the fascination with "Battlestar Galactica". I watched a few episodes of the TV series when I was a kid and I thought it was godawful. I really wanted to see the brat spaced and that ridiculous dog,what was his name...Sparky?...Bratwurst?...whatever, sent to silicon heaven (where all the calculators go).
laugh.gif

I only vaguely remember the movie but if I remember rightly it wasn't quite as bad as the (shudder) TV show.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.