Final Dilema ... 57SWX20B or 57HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aruso, Sep 12, 2002.

1. aruso

aruso Auditioning

Hi ALL,

New around here and nowhere near as savvy as all you experts. Was just wondering which RPTV to go for and why. I’ve heard good things about both of these sets and also bad things too. I can get a really good deal on both of these, (cost) thanks to my buddy who is a reseller. F.Y.I this is my first RPTV and I am a novice in the Home Theater realm. Any advice will greatly help.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

2. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

3. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

I am a newbie as well and I too was deabting between the same two sets, but now leaning heavily towards Toshiba (haven't bought either yet). The two main reasons are: 1. The price - Hitachi is ~CAD 1000 more over here in Canada (not sure about US pricing). Ironically enough, 65" versions are the same price here!!! 2. Toshiba's stretch modes for viewing 4:3 material.
    However, according to forum posts, Toshibas suffered from many quality control issues at least in the first few batches of manufacturing. This issue seems to have been corrected in later batches.
    In addition to AVS Forum thread Mark has pointed, you may also want to read:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=165474 (especially, post #12 by Les H)
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=167038

4. aruso

aruso Auditioning

thanks ... very informative.

I live in Canada too. What does the 57SWX sell for in your area.

Thanks

5. Les Holt

Les Holt Agent

6. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

Good to know of another Canuck in the same boat[​IMG] !
    In Toronto (GTA) area, 57SWX20B pretty much averages at MSRP $5299 (no discounts). OTOH, 57HDX82 retails at $4299 with some discounts (MSRP $4999) up to 15%!!!
    For further pricing/availability info read this Digital Home Canada Forum thread .
    Good luck!

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I own a 65HDX82 since 1 week, around 100 hours of playing. No problem at all. The stretch mode are really good. Picture quality is awesome. No hiss from the speaker, black is black.
    Beware of those forum. It's always PERSONAL opinions. Go out and look at those 2 sets, and choose the one YOU like. I've had the Sony KP-65WV700 and the Tosh in-house for 3 hours. And my dealer had the Tosh and Hitachi in the same room. For ME, the Tosh picture quality and color accuracy catch me. My dealer is really good, and both set were well set, and I tried different DVD on both. I now that the break-in period was not done for both. Both it's my PERSONAL opinion.
    Choose the one YOU prefer, not the one Joe-6-pack posting here or there, or working for one or the other company, is choosing. Forums are for discussion. Don't invest 5000$ on the word of a poster, please.

8. aruso

aruso Auditioning

Took the plunge .... Got the Toshiba 57HDX82, delivery is saturday.

Thanks for all the advice. My final deciding factor was of course $ and the advice of the ONLY pro calibrator in my area.

His Advice: "In my experience since 1998, I have not had great experiences with Hitachi.
    They are not as flexible when it comes to calibration. Toshiba is by far
    what I would recommend, as the components used are more adjustable and cater
    to calibration. The resulting image on Toshiba sets will impress. It's my 2 cents. Now, to go into a little more detail. Hitachi's color decoder and
    scaler/doubler are two components where Toshiba is just better. The color
    decoding process in the Toshiba sets is more accurate and truer. Hitachi
    sets have a tendency to push blue way too much. Also, the last Hitachi
    models I have seen produce quite a few grain artifacts that are more
    noticeable when you are closer."

That said I stuck with my gut feeling and Lévesque's advice and went for the Toshie. I'll keep you all posted. Hope it's not DOA!! hehe

Later

9. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I'm happy for you! I hope you will enjoy your new set as much as I enjoy mine!
    Just a note, "natural" mode is for HD, and "full" mode is for DVD...it's a bit confusing in the instructions book.
    My set is improving every hours... so be patient for the break-in period to be done (around 100-200 hours). The PQ change a lot in those 100 hours.
    Have fun.
    Final word. Never buy on the word of a poster, always go out and check by yourself. You never know who the guy posting is working for.[​IMG] People often overeact on those forum and tend to post the same information over and over again in all the popular forums, and sometimes even post in all the threads! You are the one spending the money...

10. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

Congrats and I am sure you will enjoy every bit of it!

Yes, please do keep us posted.

Thanks.

11. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am expecting my 65HDX82 on Monday. I have a question for any Toshiba owners. What should the first adjustments that I do(ie-contrast,etc.)? And what should be the viewing modes for a)watching tv off a dish receiver and b)watching a dvd?? I am new to all of this. So any help would appreciated.

Thanks!