Final decision time - Input needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Cain, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

OK guys, I am planning to begin construction tomorrow (Monday) evening on my sub and there is still a detail or two I could use some input on.. This is what is certain.

Amp - 360 watt plate amp w/ remote from MCM electronics.. I was only going to get a 250 from PE but MCM had a deal on this one for $135 which has already went back up to $189..

Driver - Tempest w/ 2 PR-15's

I had originally planned to build a sonosub but changed my mind and am going with a box since I prefer PR's.

Now, the part I am having trouble deciding is whether to go with an adire alignment or a EBS alignment. I had originally planned to go with an EBS, but my main concern is driver over-excursion with that much power since the consensus is that 250W is about the max for an EBS alignment. Would an adire alignment allow a little more power handling before reaching x-max? If it's about the same either way, I'll just go with EBS.. Nothing wrong with a little amplifier headroom..

Also, with either alignment, I will be modifying it slightly to make it front firing with the pr's on the sides, all centered, while trying to maintain the proper enclosure size.

P.S. I know many of you will want to tell me to use a ported design instead since there is enough room in a box that size, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, but don't bother. I like PR's and that is that. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your input, guys...

2. Travis Cain

Sheesh... 41 views and not one piece of input?

I feel left out..

3. Heard a pair of tempests that I liked and they were adire alignments. Havent heard the EBS, but the Adire sounded really good.

4. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

one good thing about PR's is, you can add or remove mass for a re-tune.
    the bad part is there is a big difference in the box sizes between the two alignments.

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Sorry, I don't know much about PR's and I kind of custom did an enclosure size to fit my room. If it helps at all, its a 210L ported box and it sounds great.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

7. Travis Cain

Thanks for the input, guys. I got the answers I needed from Dan in person today, so this thread can die.. [​IMG]

8. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

thomas,
    i thought they were talking about a super special mondo file only gotten by asking for it. anyway good luck with it travis.