final decision: hk 520 vs denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter rustin, Apr 19, 2002.

1. peter rustin

peter rustin Agent

i will be using the diva 4.1/c3/2.1 setup with a mits 55809. i anticipate using video component switching due to bandwidth restrictions; the mits has 3 component inputs anyway [​IMG]
    i can get the 3802 for $758 from an online dealer, and a refurb 520 from the hk outlet here in socal for $599. is the denon worth the extra $?
    thoughts?
    and, as always, many thanks

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I'm always one to save a few bucks when I can but you can get a new 520 for $620 or so from JandR. But if the refurb has the same H/K warranty you should go for it. My house currently has 3 H/K refurbs and all are quality pieces.

So I guess you know which direction my vote would go. Nothing against the 3802 (is the online dealer authorized?) but there is something about the honest approach H/K brings to amplification that I respect. The Denon may have a larger onboard feature set but the 520 with another amp for the full 7.1 is a sweeter setup in the long run IMO.

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

The Denons component video imputs are not up to HDTV standards, they will pass the HDTV signal but it might degrade the picture a little bit, make it softer. If you don't purchase the Denon from an authorize dealer then Denon won't warranty the unit.

By the way, where is the HK outlet here in SoCal?

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Peter,

From my limited experience with a Denon 3300 about 2 years ago (I had one for 1 week before returning it) I'd say look at the H/K if 2 channel audio is of any concern. I did not like the Denon at all for music. I ultimately went with a Sherwood Newcastle R-945 MKII. I have reason to believe that the H/K and SN receivers are quite similar.

Brian

5. peter rustin

peter rustin Agent

thanks for the thoughts--the hk outlet is in oxnard, at an outlet mall--they have hk and infinity stuff, and they said that the units have the full hk warranty--they will even let you open the box, examine the unit and they will test it for you then and there.

6. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Hey Peter-

I'm from Oxnard and I go there ALL the time. They do have some nice selections and will let you audition speakers ALL DAY LONG. I got my AVR 110 From them and if you haggle a bit, they will discount your purchase.

I offered them 800 for the AVR 520 + PA 2000 and they said 850. which is not bad considering the PA 2000 is 299.

Good Luck.

Angelo

7. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

One thing to remember is that the H/K 520 won't do Dolby Digital EX, even with the extra amp if I am not mistaken. Even though they are both excellent receivers, I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.

8. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't do DD EX but it does have an 8 channel direct input.

9. John E F

Wouldn't that mean you would have to find a dvd player with 6.1/7.1 analog outputs?

10. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

Or an outboard decoder. DD EX is not a big deal to me right now. In a couple years when they start releasing DVDs with a true 7.1 format, I will look into getting an outboard decoder. Until then DD5.1/DTS ES is fine for me.

11. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

I love the complexity of this hobby.[​IMG]

12. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Get the Denon at 6th ave for less than $800. I have seen the 520 for $598 online, new. HK is not picky about online buying. Also 6 discrete channels are not a necessity.
    I have the 3802 and it is perfect for music and HT. I always go video direct. The 520 is a quality unit, so it's all about how much cash you want to throw.[​IMG]

13. John E F

I would agree with Earl about the 6/7 channels not being a must have. I auditioned the Denon 3802 for about a month and really liked it. I ultimately went with the Onkyo 797, then upgraded to the 898 through the dealers extended warranty. I have only used 5.1 as my room really won't allow for the rear surrounds. I also considered the h/k 520 and think it is definately a quality unit. Your original question was if the Denon was worth the extra cash over the H/K? IMHO it's worth the extra cash for the extra amps and DD-EX, but you have already said you didn't need them anyway.

Yesterday, I saw the new Yamaha HTR-5560 at Best Buy. It was a little low on wattage at 75 per channel but it did have 6 channels, component video, PL2, DD-EX, DTS-ES, and preouts for all channels for $449.00. Seems like an excellent buy if the amps are of good quality.

14. peter rustin

peter rustin Agent

thanks for the input all--i got a 520 at the hk outlet for 599.

ordering divas tomorrow!