Final decision. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Roveen_A, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Roveen_A

Roveen_A Auditioning

Dec 19, 2003
    Thanks for all your help and the advice you've all f=gicen to this newbie.

I think I made up my mind on what to do. Let me know if you would agree.

Room dimensions: 14.5' x 11.5' x 8 '
    Room has no windows and is lighted by 4 sconce, 4 recessed dimmers. Otherwise, I can make it completely pictch dark.
    I will use the Sony Dream surround system that I have for this small room.

I have now decided to purchase a projector (instead of the use the Epson 730c my company gave me). I really want the 16:9 widescreen format and this is not the case on the Epson. Plus, I probably will have to take the projector on/off the mount in case I need it for work. That can be a hassle, right?

1) My question is: If the projector I buy(hanging from ceiling) is 11 feet away from the screen, what projector do you recommend I purchase that is sub $2000 or even sub $1500? I want good brightness and resolution in 16:9 aspect.I also want a projector that can accept: DVD video, cable TV, Playstation 2. If it can do computer too, that would be ok. Are all this standard now on all projectors?

2) I want to buy a Da Lite screen. From the 11 feet distance, what screen size and model would you recommend? I was thinking the 96" diagonal would be good. Is that too BIG?

I think basically I am looking for the right projector/screen combination taking into consideration the room dimensions.

I can use all the advice I can get. Thanks for making this a relaity for me.
  2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

May 7, 2003
    Thinking of the Sanyo PLV-Z1/Z2 or Panny L300 or X1

For any of the above, you should look into a DIY screen which can be made to your exact dimensions and for less than 100 bux.
  3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons

I move this thread to the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors) forum. I expect you to get even more response there!