What's new

Final Countdown (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I see it's slated for release later this month in the release thread, but didn't find any other mention of it here. So I thought I'd ask what are the expectations for this release? It's being released by Blue Underground? I'm not familiar with them.

Any extras or bare bones only?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I bet that would depend on how well the dvd release sold. It seemed to take forever for this title to hit dvd which included one failed attempt. And the release that came out was wanting.

Perhaps a BD version will have better quality.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Blue Underground is run by people who are genuinely passionate (IMO) about the stuff they put out. Their quality has been iffy, but that can be attributed as much to the source material as anything else. They certainly don't try to skimp on specs or extras.

Here's the extras and specs for "Blue Underground":

FINAL COUNTDOWN, THE (Blu-ray) by Blue Underground, directed by Don Taylor (Damien: Omen II)

BTW, BU's got a bunch of stuff coming out on Blu-ray. "Stendhal Syndrome" is due Nov 18, "Dead and Buried" is due Jan 27, and they're planning on releasing "Fire And Ice", "Maniac", "The Bird With The Crystal Plumage", "Two Evil Eyes", "Uncle Sam", and "Vigilante" in late 2008/early 2009.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There's a little misinformation going on here. Blue Underground previously released an excellent version of The Final Countdown on DVD in 2004, in both 1 and 2-disc versions, remastered in HD. There was a bit of confusion going on prior to this release, because a company named Pacific Family Entertainment claimed to hold the rights and announced a P/S version which may or may not have materialized. Blue Underground has an excellent reputation as a purveyor of cult and horror films on DVD, typically with remastered DTS tracks and 16:9 enhanced transfers. There is no reason to believe their BD output will not be of similar quality.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the info on Blue Underground. That gives me more confidence in buying the BD.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Good thing I'm retired, that home page is not work safe
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Actually, it is coming out Nov. 4th. It was pushed back a week in the last couple weeks on the Blue Underground web site and on sites like Best Buy and Netflix.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I ordered a copy from Amazonia. They have never noted this delay. I may have to get Planet Of The Grapes to hold me over a week....?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The review sounds encouraging. Thanks for posting it! I skip alotta' not so special features but that cancid interview sounds fun. The warm and fuzzy gets stale and bored. It sounds kind'a tabloid-ish but more fun than Jery, Jerry, Jerry. It sounds like a better than average backstory.

I'm anxious to get a shipping notice.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched this movie as a BR rental and I'm so glad I rented it. I was very disappointed in this move and find the review on DVDTalk way off base IMHO.
I kept watching this movie like you'd watch a train wreck. When they were comparing the historical photo of Pearl Harbor with the one just taken by a modern camera system, it appeared to be the same photo. The same angle, grainy, and the same waves in the water.

Yes there were some good actors in this, but they had little to work with. I don't think I've seen worse from Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, Katharine Ross, or Charles Durning.

The special effects were poor at best, but the movie could still have been very good with a much better script and a director who knows how to get performances from his actors. The idea is very interesting, but the execution is poor.

A time travel movie that is head and shoulders above this movie is "Frequency". It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't believe that movie depended on special effects very much. It had a compelling story and was very well acted.

I don't understand the favorable reputation this movie has. IMHO, of course.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Johnny, i can sum it up in one great scene, splash the Zeros. How cool is it to see real planes from the 80s and 40s interact. That was the best part of the movie. Otherwise its a below average Twilight Zone.

Yea, i own the DVD. Love the music, and the extras were cool. I would buy the Blu-ray if it was CHEAP.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I think you got it, right there. Part of my problem is that I was expecting so much more.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I suppose I should mention that the reason I like this movie so much deals less with the plot and acting, and more with the portrayal of daily operations aboard the USS Nimitz. For me it's a lot better than Top Gun and its ilk. For that matter I like Under Seige even though Segal isn't my type - and even though another battleship stood in for USS Missouri for the interior shots.

By the way, those aren't real Zeros. None exist in flying condition. Those are US primary trainers from that period repainted with Japanese markings.

I'm nostalgic. I've served aboard both USS Nimitz and USS Missouri.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And that's why I included IMHO. If you'll just remember two things, we'll get along fine: I'm right and you're wrong
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks