Final Countdown re-release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haden, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Okay, so what's the final word on the re-release of Final Countdown this week? Has it been confirmed whether or not it's the same version as the original crappy release? I'd like a definitive answer before I decide whether or not to order it off Amazon. Thanks

2. Hank

Hank Guest

The Digital Bits is suppose to have an update on this when they receive their copy from Amazon. A few months ago Digital Bits said that they heard this version was better but still not up to par. There is no 16:9 transfer again but I think maybe a 5.1 track. We'll have to see in the upcoming days.

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The Final Countdown is only $12.99 at BestBuy on Tuesday.

4. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Didn't see it at BB today...has anyone seen this on the shelves yet?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

BB was missing a ton of titles today, including my Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park. Least they had Roger & Me

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I expected it would be such an obscure title that it would be impossible to find in stores during the first few weeks after release. I'm ready to order it online if I find out it's worth purchasing.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I've seen it for sale at my local BB in Connecticut but I won't touch it until I know what I am getting. The longer I wait for a studio or releasing company to get something right the more I just spend my money on something else.

8. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

think we need to contact the goverment and get them on PFE for the Digital Millennium Copyright Act! Such blatant bootlegging should NOT be tolerated! We all should be contacting the MPAA to inform them of this trash of a company that is selling bootleggs. Below are the contact info for reporting piracy!

MPAA Piracy contact info:
    1-800-662-6797
    [email protected]

Let go put this slimy company out of business!

9. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff
    SvenS, can you explain what the heck you are talking about?

10. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

He is referring to some opinions that the both disc AND cover were literally and illegally copied directly from the UK DVD without compensation for the PAL speedup, I believe;
    I found 2 reviews on Amazon but they are from the beginning of August-which is odd, unless some folks got theirs early;

ONE review claims that the disc is still absolute crap;
    and the other?
    well, I'll let you judge for yourself, but either they did a REAL about-face, in terms of quality-or this reviewer is a PFE 'plant':
    --------
    a Reviewer in ????? says (Aug 9)

Wow! Thanks, Pacific Family for finally taking it (TFC) nationwide. Don't let the looney tune critics keep you from making this great title available to those of us who appreciate your efforts. Your newest version is outstanding to say the least--Great picture--better than any previous release--5 star quality! I look forward to other titles you may have of the same great quality and value. Thanks again.
    -------
    caveat emptor!

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

"5 star quality!" - Hmmm... I'll believes it when I sees it.

What a farce.

Gordy

12. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

When is Digitalbits going to comment on it? They should have got their copy by now, and we're all waiting to see a review from a legitimate source before we decide to buy this.

13. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

14. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff
    Well Sven, you didn't tell us the source of your information but at least this post makes more sense than your earlier one because it tells us what you are talking about.

I'm just curious now but can anyone confirm this copyright information, the way the title does look, or how available the release is? We've been getting questions about this title at work, and usually the people who are asking them are VERY VOCAL about wanting to purchase the film (in fact sometimes quite rude when they are told we don't have it).

15. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Yes, Jeff is correct about people being quite rude about this title. I had someone just blast me for saying we didnt have it, and gave me attitude when I told him other places to check...and he was threatening going somewhere else if I didnt help him get one...which made no sense to me.

16. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I can tell you who LIKELY owns most of these titles, although some of this could be in dispute:

NIGHT OF THE COMET:
    Atlantic -> Island -> Polygram -> MGM

THE MONSTER SQUAD:
    Taft Broadcasting Pictures -> Worldvision/Spelling -> Republic -> Paramount
    (a current deal between Republic and Artisan is due to expire, which has likely held up a legit release)

CONVOY:
    EMI -> Weintraub Entertainment -> StudioCanal

KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK:
    (two possible chains)
    Taft Broadcasting -> Paramount (per Artisan/Republic termination)
    or
    Hanna-Barbera Productions -> Turner Entertainment -> Warner Bros.
    plus, all music rights would have to be negotiated with Universal Music

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN:
    There have been hints at a legal version of this title debuting in '04. Though no label has been mentioned, as a former PSO title, it likely belongs to the same holding company that has licensed other former PSO titles like VENOM and DEAD AND BURIED to Blue Underground.

Just like Watergate, follow the money...

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

RE: Convoy. It's early in the morning so I'm not thinking straight, but StudioCanal stuff has been individually licensed to various studios to distribute on DVD, right? Among them - if I can think right - are Anchor Bay (Dr. Who And The Daleks), Criterion (Hopscotch), MGM (The Howling), and Universal (U-571).

Right? So it could be any of those (well, maybe not Criterion! :p) ) putting out a legit Convoy DVD eventually, eh? Honestly, I could see any of the other three doing it; they've all had plenty of similar releases (maybe AB more than the other two [​IMG] ).

18. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit