Final Countdown in Japan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomoko Noguchi, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

So far I have been able to find out that it is letterbox. Whether it is 16x9, I don't know. HMV Japan has it for sale for 4800

2. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

It's available pretty cheaply in the UK, letterboxed but not 16x9 sadly. The disc is pretty poor though

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It was on TV last night, I'd drop 4800 yen on a decent disc of this movie

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

If it is anything like the USA release then it is a piece of horse manure. Don't waste your money.

5. Tomoko Noguchi

6. Jeff Kleist

My only concern is that it says that it says it's 16:9 letterbox "vista". Since FC is 2.35:1, obviously I'm worried [​IMG] I have seen plenty of movies using "vista" to describe TV shape too.

Tomoko, are you going to buy this DVD? If memory serves it's illegal to rent disc based media in Japan....

7. Tomoko Noguchi

Jeff,

I am still looking for it in the stores. I still can not find it yet. Only until I find it will I be able to report for sure that it is 16:9.

8. RexW

RexW Stunt Coordinator

It's legal to rent DVDs here in Japan. Just rented two over the weekend myself.
    CDs are also rentable but I've been told and backed up by never seeing them for rent, you can't rent video games.

9. Jeff Kleist

Yeah, I know you can't rent video games, I heard it also applied to LDs so I assumed it did to DVDs

10. Tomoko Noguchi

Jeff,

Sorry for not answering your question from before. Rex is right, you can rent DVDs. Here in my town we have Tsutaya and Iwase which both rent DVDs and of course VHS. I didn't quite understand your question at first.

11. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

I purchased "The Final Countdown" 1980 off of www.ezyDVD.com.au my copy is a 2.35:1 ltbx. I have a Regions free DVD player which x, y, scales it regular anamorphic.

BTW The R4 edition has Dolby Pro-Logic Surrond sound, and chapter stops, unlike the one that was cancelled in the USA. I love this movie, Kirk Douglas, James Farantino, Martin Sheene and Katharine Ross. I just checked it they are out of stock for the moment, Amazon UK wants L 9.99 for it.

It's great to have X,Y, scaling on a regions free 1-6 with a mod and manual switch for RCE
    discs. Last movie I ordered off of EZY DVD was "The Wraith: 1986 93 minute version showed it all as it was in the theatre. Charlie Sheene, Sherilyn Fenn, Nick Cassavetes 1.78:1 wth my x,y scaling it became a anamorphic 1.85:1 with Dolby Surround encoded.[​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Tom, that's the Austalian PAL version.

This is a new disc with presumably a new transfer. The Aussie disc is non-anamorphic

13. Tom Vet

True Jeff but I have X, Y, Scaling to make all non-anamorphics full anamorphics. I have the mediamatics chip with a ICOS mod and a hard wired not software progressive scan. [​IMG]

14. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

It scales it to 16:9, it can't make it anamorphic. It still lacks the increased resolution of a true anamorphic transfer.

15. Tom Vet

Mark when I scale it I leave blackness at the top not 'zoom' to give it a 1.85:1 view. I have all the detail the letterbox would have, with extra height and lower to the bottom image.

Guys I was watching this afternoon to think that Ross and Durning were on that boat to see aircraft like they 'Never' seen before the first time ever flying overhead. I'll bet I were on that boat I would haved peed in my pants. Witness first hand a spectical like those 2 jets flying mighty fast, thunderous roar of those kerosene burning jet engines. Yo

16. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...when I scale it I leave blackness at the top not 'zoom' to give it a 1.85:1 view.
    I have all the detail the letterbox would have, with extra height and lower to the bottom image.
    "

...and that clearly explains how to derive a true anamorphic picture
    from a (non-anamorphic) letterboxed transfer... (...ahh... if only it were that simple!...)

. . . [​IMG] . . .

17. Tom Vet

Hendrick you must have learned too much now instead of watching the movie, you give a eyes only 'autopsy' of what's wrong and end up not enjoying it at all, too bad. ROTFLMAO

I know what I can do and enjoy what I have. I am not interested in doing autopsies of films, they crying in my beer, like most of you guys do. Ignorance is bliss~The Matrix by Cypher.
    [​IMG]

18. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Anyone ever *truly* confirm that it is 16:9 and not an upconvert (faux-16:9) of the crappy PAL/NTSC versions of the movie?