What's new

Final 3 Seasons of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" to be Released by Fox (NY Times) (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
The Arts and Leisure section of the 8/31 edition of the NY Times has an article on "MTM" on DVD (link not available yet; the article is at page 17 of the print edition).

The article discusses the history of the series' availability on DVD, comments received by Fox from frustrated fans and the recent Oprah Winfrey tribute to the series. According to the article: "Fox got the message and has now committed to releasing all three remaining seasons, covering episodes from the fall of 1974 to the spring of 1977." Steven Feldstein of Fox is quoted as saying "It's the right opportunity for us to come out with the full series." No release date is given; the article notes that Feldstein is "currently awaiting a full release schedule."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
OMG, that's great, but I can't help being skeptical, given how we kept hearing how poorly the first four seasons sold.

And how long will it be before they get pestered for "Rhoda" and "Phyllis?"

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
come out with the full series ? does that mean a complete series set ?

the only way to get s5-s7 is to buy the Complete Set ?

LCD22

Screenwriter

I would love to see "Rhoda", but it will most likely come with music substitution. And I've had up to here with Fox and music replacement.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Erik!

Great news all the way around. Looking forward to hearing more details about the remaining seasons soon. I consider this show to be the 70s equivalent of the Van Dyke Show...smart, witty, adult, and a great ensemble cast. TV history (old shows and new shows) is filled with sitcoms that played to the lowest common denominator and MTM and DVD are examples of those which rose above the dreck to be timeless.

Steve "Very happy camper today" O (apologies to Gary
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I dont care if I have to rebuy seasons 1-4 I'M IN!!!!!

IS also a very happy camper

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
sounds good to me, it is time for Dave and Gord to do some work over the holiday weekend and have some news come tuesday on this. ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that's what Mr. Feldstein meant at all when he said "It's the right opportunity for us to come out with the full series".

I don't think he was implying that the only way to get seasons 5-7 was to purchase a Complete-Series set.

I hate to put words into anyone's mouth, but here's exactly what I think the FOX executive meant:

"It's the right opportunity for us to come out with the [remaining three seasons of this excellent, groundbreaking TV show on DVD, so that the] full series [will then be available in digital format for all time to come]."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
After an incredibly stressful week at work, this was JUST the news I needed to help kick off my holiday weekend! I am on Cloud 9.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'd never thought I'd say this but....

Thank you Oprah!

I thought that when she did the show on MTM, the Oprahbots would get sales and pressure going enough to get Fox back on to releasing the show.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Finally, Oprah makes a positive contribution to society. Invite Bob Newhart onto your show PRONTO.

Note in the article Steve Feldstein's slam at Sony. Maybe the pressure will increase on them to finish their 30 abandoned shows. But the author of the article actually wants The PJs on DVD while sneering at the availability of Gomer Pyle, USMC? I tried watching that show when it premiered almost 10 years ago, and good lord I wish I hadn't. Gomer Pyle I might buy were they not cutting music left and right.

Also note, which the New York Times doesn't, how it was not until Oprah that Fox had anything other than a hand-to-mouth schedule with this, or any, show. They're part of the problem.

Fat chance. I have tried for years to find a human being at that studio.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good news, I didn't read the article yet, but Oprah is a huge Mary fan. I hope this also trickles down to the rest of The Bob Newhart Show.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Not to mentioned a fan of Colt Seavers. Maybe "The Fall Guy" can finally get some proper respect. Like, I don't know a non-butchered release. :D

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, Oprah did have Valerie Bertinelli on her show a few months ago, didn't do a thing for One Day At A Time, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks