1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

FilmStruck Shutting Down 11/29/2018

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by dpippel, Oct 26, 2018.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
  2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Of course it will.
    Personally, I’m less interested in the original content/blockbusters but I’ll have to see what pricing is before I decide.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I just got an email from Criterion about their own new service; the email says you can pre-register and lock in a discounted price for the life of your subscription - no money down to register, and they’ll send further details when the service is near launching. I thought that was a nice offer for Filmstruck fans.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I got the same email. You can lock in a price of $7.50 per month (with annual payment) if you sign up early. Right now they are not requiring a credit card, so there is minimal risk. My main question will be if apps will be available for Apple TV and Roku for viewing. I would assume so, but you know what happens when you assume... ;)

5. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Yep, that's exactly what it'll be, going by this from the Hollywood Reporter:

In other words, just like cable/dish services except it comes over the Internet.

Link to the Hollywood Reporter article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warnermedia-rolls-three-tier-streaming-offering-1164984

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That information was also in the Variety article.

7. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Agent

Matt
    While the Warner Bros. service (not due to beta test until late 2019) will apparently offer Criterion films, I imagine that it probably won't offer all the extra content that was available on Filmstruck. I'd be willing to pay $15/month just to get the extras, so I envision subscribing to both the new Criterion streaming service, and the Warner's.

I hope the new Criterion will have a Roku app, which I find most convenient. Failing that, I suppose I could just connect my computer to my big TV via HDMI if necessary. I watched 75 movies on Filmstruck over the last 6 months (an unsustainable binge for me), but experienced only about 7-8 times a film was disrupted by a ROKU or Filmstruck technical error.

8. skylark68

skylark68 Supporting Actor

Timothy
    Well, I signed up as a "charter" subscriber. I hope this pans out. I never got around to getting Filmstruck since I was still in law school and didn't feel like I would be able to watch enough films to justify the monthly cost but now that I've graduated hopefully I'll have time although I know first year rookie lawyers typically get slammed with crazy hours. We'll see how it goes... :)

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Warner sent out a digital code for the following titles to redeem on MoviesAnywhere for being a Filmstruck subscriber.

A Star is Born (1954)
    King Kong (1933)
    Singin' the Rain
    Casablanca
    The Adventures of Robin Hood

Randy Korstick and Sam Posten like this.