What's new

FilmStruck Shutting Down 11/29/2018 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's some news on Warner's yet-to-be-named streaming service that will supposedly include Criterion's library:

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/warnermedia-streaming-platform-movies-three-tiers-1203051216/

I'd be willing to bet that you'll get access to Criterion titles at the most expensive of the three pricing tiers.

Of course it will.
Personally, I’m less interested in the original content/blockbusters but I’ll have to see what pricing is before I decide.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got an email from Criterion about their own new service; the email says you can pre-register and lock in a discounted price for the life of your subscription - no money down to register, and they’ll send further details when the service is near launching. I thought that was a nice offer for Filmstruck fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just got an email from Criterion about their own new service; the email says you can pre-register and lock in a discounted price for the life of your subscription - no money down to register, and they’ll send further details when the service is near launching. I thought that was a nice offer for Filmstruck fans.
I got the same email. You can lock in a price of $7.50 per month (with annual payment) if you sign up early. Right now they are not requiring a credit card, so there is minimal risk. My main question will be if apps will be available for Apple TV and Roku for viewing. I would assume so, but you know what happens when you assume... ;)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Here's some news on Warner's yet-to-be-named streaming service that will supposedly include Criterion's library:

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/warnermedia-streaming-platform-movies-three-tiers-1203051216/

I'd be willing to bet that you'll get access to Criterion titles at the most expensive of the three pricing tiers.

Yep, that's exactly what it'll be, going by this from the Hollywood Reporter:

The result is a three-tier offering of streaming packages. The entry-level bundle to come from WarnerMedia will offer a starter movie package. Next up is a premium service with original programming and blockbuster movies. A third service bundles content from the first two streaming packages, with library content from WarnerMedia and eventually more content licensed from third parties.

In other words, just like cable/dish services except it comes over the Internet.

Link to the Hollywood Reporter article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warnermedia-rolls-three-tier-streaming-offering-1164984

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
While the Warner Bros. service (not due to beta test until late 2019) will apparently offer Criterion films, I imagine that it probably won't offer all the extra content that was available on Filmstruck. I'd be willing to pay $15/month just to get the extras, so I envision subscribing to both the new Criterion streaming service, and the Warner's.

I hope the new Criterion will have a Roku app, which I find most convenient. Failing that, I suppose I could just connect my computer to my big TV via HDMI if necessary. I watched 75 movies on Filmstruck over the last 6 months (an unsustainable binge for me), but experienced only about 7-8 times a film was disrupted by a ROKU or Filmstruck technical error.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Well, I signed up as a "charter" subscriber. I hope this pans out. I never got around to getting Filmstruck since I was still in law school and didn't feel like I would be able to watch enough films to justify the monthly cost but now that I've graduated hopefully I'll have time although I know first year rookie lawyers typically get slammed with crazy hours. We'll see how it goes... :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner sent out a digital code for the following titles to redeem on MoviesAnywhere for being a Filmstruck subscriber.

A Star is Born (1954)
King Kong (1933)
Singin' the Rain
Casablanca
The Adventures of Robin Hood

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks