Films You've Intently Studied

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rich_d, Aug 14, 2006.

1. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I'm really curious about what films that people have significantly studied.

By studied this could mean a variety of things. Perhaps you read up about the film, perhaps you've written a thesis about some aspect about the film.

Perhaps you have joined a group on the Internet that discusses the film in depth or contribute to a web site about the film. (such as moi).

Or perhaps you have self-studied the film. Anything from studying the film frame by frame to analyzing certain aspects of the film (ex. color, lighting, editing, camera position, sound, score, thematic elements etc.).

Anything really where you intently studied the film and seriously reflected about it. Something a cut above 'I really, really like the film and I've seen it countless times.'

Ideally, if you could share your involvement with the film that would be great.

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Rich,

My three films that I have studied will be what I think are the top 3 studied on this forum:

Blade Runner
    Citizen Kane
    2001: A Space Oddessey

The complexities and intricasies of these films lend themselves to endless discussion which has led to their being endless amounts of research materials to peruse.

3. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I've worked on two hefty reports on Peckinpah, whose films are hugely fascinating, particularly as a body of work. And when prepping for my own stuff, I watched a buttload of films with complex/fascinating editing rhythms and sound design (Peckinpah, Stone, Scorsese/Schoonmaker, Welles, Tony Scott, Hitchcock, Michael Bay, Malick, Mann, Kahn/Spielberg, and of course anything with Walter Murch). Wier's Master and Commander and PTA's Punch Drunk Love have 2 of the most arresting soundscapes among recent films. I'd love to attend one of Ebert's frame-by-frame analyses.

Regards,
    Nathan

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

La Belle Noiseuse

[​IMG]

5. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Cutter's Way

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I knew who the lead actress would be even before I googled it.

--
    H

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I've certainly read entire books devoted to a single film, but then I've also listened to the rare commentary that was as informative as a whole book. But limiting it to a top 5, I'd say

Vertigo
    Psycho
    Chinatown
    The Wizard of Oz
    Double Indemnity

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Five brilliant films to study George. I've been thinking about how to answer this, as I'm not sure if I've ever studied one in as much detail as the title suggests--or perhaps the number is very high.

9. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Empire of the Sun
    A.I.
    Citizen Kane
    Vertigo
    Seven Samurai
    Apartment
    Natural Born Killers
    Pleasantville
    Bonnie and Clyde
    400 blows
    How Green was my Valley
    Great Expectations
    Double Indemnity
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Jaws
    E.T.
    Ender's Game
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Bambi
    Pollyanna
    Old Yeller
    The Naked Spur
    Harvey
    Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Whisper of the Heart
    Sunrise
    All About Eve
    Braveheart
    Firefly (yes it counts)
    Band of Brothers (ditto)
    North By Northwest
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Singin in the Rain
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Empire Strikes Back
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Chasing Amy
    Big Lebowski
    Man in the Moon
    Out of Sight
    Fight club
    Sixth Sense
    Godfather
    Dr. strangelove
    Lawrence of Arabia
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Pinocchio

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Lew,

I suspect in your case the number is very high. I'm looking forward to the new Double Indemnity soon, to enhance my study of that one!

11. Michael Gunde

Michael Gunde Auditioning

A Tale of Two Sisters - and I don't see myself ever stopping [​IMG]

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    For me, it would be the two movies I explored way back in the time of my Cinematography Discussions, The Man in the Moon and In the Bedroom. I've dug pretty heavily into others over the years, but those are the only two I wrote down the observations about, aside from regular reviews.

13. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Citizen Kane
    Vertigo
    Collateral
    The Bourne Supremacy
    Back to the Future
    Pulp Fiction
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV)
    Audition
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

(I've spent more time with Buffy than any other artwork... hundreds of hours. It deserves it.)

I think I'm at a point where watching a film many times and studying it is equivalent. But I kept the list to what I've read quite a bit about.

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

To say study is a bit of a slap at those who take film to heart for their life. But there are certain films I've watched repeatedly, over and over again in order to try and understand them.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I've posted in another forum here that I believe this to be the definitive comic book film. Every time I watch it, I find the nuances of the animation and writing style to be so good that I sit back and say "wow".

Bis Ans Ende Der Welt (Until the End of the World). Wim Weders is often better known for other films, but this is the one film that the first tijme I saw it I said: brilliant. I own almost every version of this film. The Japanese Laserdisc, the US VHS, the Italian and German extended editions, bootlegs. This is a film that just dazzles me. While it's a well done science fiction film, it's what it says about the characters and what the characters say about us as a viewer that just leaves me agape everytime. I have to have seen this film a hundred times. And the ending of this film, which I will not give away is heartbreaking, it's one of those endings that is so appropriate, you feel so positive for some characters, and broken up for others. This is Wender's brilliant, sometimes dismissed gem.

Vertigo - Every so often I feel in the mood to watch Vertigo. There are other Hitchcock films that I find to be "better" in some aspects, but Vertigo is one of those films where I watch and just find myself wowed. I bought the restored DTS Laserdisc years ago, and then the DVD, etc. This is another one of those films I respect because of how well it fleshes out the characters.

Sound of Music. Sometimes I think musicals get a bad rap. Sound of Music is one of those films I've seen an infinite number of times, and as I watch, I think not only about the quality of performances, but the way in which the performances are done and the fluid nature to the film. Sound of Music and Mary Poppins rotate in my must watch list now and again.

There are other films that I spend probably more time with, and that I would say I've studied them (like Star Wars, Serenity, Pulp Fiction, Shawkshank Redemption, Godfather I & II) but I figure they will get represented well [​IMG]

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Birth of a Nation

16. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    It's a cliche, I guess, but every time I watch Heat, I see/hear/learn something new about the characters and their lives. I don't like to read or talk about it because I don't want to admit that the things I've learned by studying it aren't that original or that difficult to glean from the film. It's more personal to me.

Anyway, it's a perfect film to me and I never tire of experiencing it.

Grease is another. I have seen Grease more than any other movie. My mother and I watched it on VHS over and over again when I was a kid -- I mean 10 times in one day, sometimes. I know the script by heart and if I was on Survivor, I would be the entertainment for the rest of my team -- reciting that movie. I would be like a TV that gets only one channel -- the Grease marathon. They'd probably vote me off after the first tribal council.

Finally, I'd list the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I read the books before each premiere for three years. I read the books twice in a row, sometimes finishing the appendices and opening to page one in the same sitting. I read everything I could online or in print. (I even read "The Silmarillion.") I watched FOTR each weekend for months on end after it was released on DVD. I listened to all of the commentaries on the EEs. I would discuss the films at parties with friends or even strangers. I have watched all three EEs in a 12 hour marathon several times. Besides the ones I've listed above, I know LOTR better than just about anyone I know.

17. Alex F

Alex F Stunt Coordinator

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Interesting pick and a very good film....may I ask why you are infatuated with this well made thriller?

19. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i'd have to say nearly every film has something worth studying, even if it's bad, i need to know why it'd bad.

having said that, i'm using Gerald Mast's Short History of Movies 7th and 8th edition to study (in brief). but i'm interested in seeing the films instead of reading about it. thanks to netflix, i've been able to "study" or watch most of the silent classics.

20. Joe Reinwald

Joe Reinwald Stunt Coordinator

Raging Bull and M

And as embarrassed as I am to admit it, the time travelling sequences from the Guy Pierce version of Time Machine.