What's new

Films You've Intently Studied (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I'm really curious about what films that people have significantly studied.

By studied this could mean a variety of things. Perhaps you read up about the film, perhaps you've written a thesis about some aspect about the film.

Perhaps you have joined a group on the Internet that discusses the film in depth or contribute to a web site about the film. (such as moi).

Or perhaps you have self-studied the film. Anything from studying the film frame by frame to analyzing certain aspects of the film (ex. color, lighting, editing, camera position, sound, score, thematic elements etc.).

Anything really where you intently studied the film and seriously reflected about it. Something a cut above 'I really, really like the film and I've seen it countless times.'

Ideally, if you could share your involvement with the film that would be great.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Rich,

My three films that I have studied will be what I think are the top 3 studied on this forum:

Blade Runner
Citizen Kane
2001: A Space Oddessey

The complexities and intricasies of these films lend themselves to endless discussion which has led to their being endless amounts of research materials to peruse.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I've worked on two hefty reports on Peckinpah, whose films are hugely fascinating, particularly as a body of work. And when prepping for my own stuff, I watched a buttload of films with complex/fascinating editing rhythms and sound design (Peckinpah, Stone, Scorsese/Schoonmaker, Welles, Tony Scott, Hitchcock, Michael Bay, Malick, Mann, Kahn/Spielberg, and of course anything with Walter Murch). Wier's Master and Commander and PTA's Punch Drunk Love have 2 of the most arresting soundscapes among recent films. I'd love to attend one of Ebert's frame-by-frame analyses.

Regards,
Nathan

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've certainly read entire books devoted to a single film, but then I've also listened to the rare commentary that was as informative as a whole book. But limiting it to a top 5, I'd say

Vertigo
Psycho
Chinatown
The Wizard of Oz
Double Indemnity

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Five brilliant films to study George. I've been thinking about how to answer this, as I'm not sure if I've ever studied one in as much detail as the title suggests--or perhaps the number is very high.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Empire of the Sun
A.I.
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
Seven Samurai
Apartment
Natural Born Killers
Pleasantville
Bonnie and Clyde
400 blows
How Green was my Valley
Great Expectations
Double Indemnity
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
E.T.
Ender's Game
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Bambi
Pollyanna
Old Yeller
The Naked Spur
Harvey
Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
It's a Wonderful Life
Whisper of the Heart
Sunrise
All About Eve
Braveheart
Firefly (yes it counts)
Band of Brothers (ditto)
North By Northwest
Shadow of a Doubt
Singin in the Rain
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Empire Strikes Back
Fellowship of the Ring
Chasing Amy
Big Lebowski
Man in the Moon
Out of Sight
Fight club
Sixth Sense
Godfather
Dr. strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
To Kill a Mockingbird
Pinocchio

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Lew,

I suspect in your case the number is very high. I'm looking forward to the new Double Indemnity soon, to enhance my study of that one!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For me, it would be the two movies I explored way back in the time of my Cinematography Discussions, The Man in the Moon and In the Bedroom. I've dug pretty heavily into others over the years, but those are the only two I wrote down the observations about, aside from regular reviews.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
Collateral
The Bourne Supremacy
Back to the Future
Pulp Fiction
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV)
Audition
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

(I've spent more time with Buffy than any other artwork... hundreds of hours. It deserves it.)

I think I'm at a point where watching a film many times and studying it is equivalent. But I kept the list to what I've read quite a bit about.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
To say study is a bit of a slap at those who take film to heart for their life. But there are certain films I've watched repeatedly, over and over again in order to try and understand them.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I've posted in another forum here that I believe this to be the definitive comic book film. Every time I watch it, I find the nuances of the animation and writing style to be so good that I sit back and say "wow".

Bis Ans Ende Der Welt (Until the End of the World). Wim Weders is often better known for other films, but this is the one film that the first tijme I saw it I said: brilliant. I own almost every version of this film. The Japanese Laserdisc, the US VHS, the Italian and German extended editions, bootlegs. This is a film that just dazzles me. While it's a well done science fiction film, it's what it says about the characters and what the characters say about us as a viewer that just leaves me agape everytime. I have to have seen this film a hundred times. And the ending of this film, which I will not give away is heartbreaking, it's one of those endings that is so appropriate, you feel so positive for some characters, and broken up for others. This is Wender's brilliant, sometimes dismissed gem.

Vertigo - Every so often I feel in the mood to watch Vertigo. There are other Hitchcock films that I find to be "better" in some aspects, but Vertigo is one of those films where I watch and just find myself wowed. I bought the restored DTS Laserdisc years ago, and then the DVD, etc. This is another one of those films I respect because of how well it fleshes out the characters.

Sound of Music. Sometimes I think musicals get a bad rap. Sound of Music is one of those films I've seen an infinite number of times, and as I watch, I think not only about the quality of performances, but the way in which the performances are done and the fluid nature to the film. Sound of Music and Mary Poppins rotate in my must watch list now and again.

There are other films that I spend probably more time with, and that I would say I've studied them (like Star Wars, Serenity, Pulp Fiction, Shawkshank Redemption, Godfather I & II) but I figure they will get represented well :)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
It's a cliche, I guess, but every time I watch Heat, I see/hear/learn something new about the characters and their lives. I don't like to read or talk about it because I don't want to admit that the things I've learned by studying it aren't that original or that difficult to glean from the film. It's more personal to me.

Anyway, it's a perfect film to me and I never tire of experiencing it.

Grease is another. I have seen Grease more than any other movie. My mother and I watched it on VHS over and over again when I was a kid -- I mean 10 times in one day, sometimes. I know the script by heart and if I was on Survivor, I would be the entertainment for the rest of my team -- reciting that movie. I would be like a TV that gets only one channel -- the Grease marathon. They'd probably vote me off after the first tribal council.

Finally, I'd list the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I read the books before each premiere for three years. I read the books twice in a row, sometimes finishing the appendices and opening to page one in the same sitting. I read everything I could online or in print. (I even read "The Silmarillion.") I watched FOTR each weekend for months on end after it was released on DVD. I listened to all of the commentaries on the EEs. I would discuss the films at parties with friends or even strangers. I have watched all three EEs in a 12 hour marathon several times. Besides the ones I've listed above, I know LOTR better than just about anyone I know.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Interesting pick and a very good film....may I ask why you are infatuated with this well made thriller?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'd have to say nearly every film has something worth studying, even if it's bad, i need to know why it'd bad.

having said that, i'm using Gerald Mast's Short History of Movies 7th and 8th edition to study (in brief). but i'm interested in seeing the films instead of reading about it. thanks to netflix, i've been able to "study" or watch most of the silent classics.

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Raging Bull and M

And as embarrassed as I am to admit it, the time travelling sequences from the Guy Pierce version of Time Machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks