1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Films you feel could use a Director's or extended cut

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Tom St Jones, Nov 1, 2015.

1. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I like it too, though it's probably because I saw it with my mom and a favourite cousin when it came out. The first "Annie" DVD was anamorphic widescreen. I had one (I had the letterboxed laserdisc before that) and was perplexed when a new DVD edition came out that was pan and scan. The Blu-Ray is good, though.

2. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Same producers, who considered MacArthur a companion -- same type of movie, different general. Different star (Gregory Peck) giving a marvelous performance, same composer (Jerry Goldsmith) doing an equally good score, but unfortunately not the same director. Instead of Franklin J. Schaffner, they had Joseph Sargent. Sargent was a solid director -- yes, he made Jaws 4, but he also made the classic original Taking of Pelham One Two Three -- but not on the same level as Schaffner. Still, though, MacArthur is a very good film, certainly worthy of blu-ray release.

But it's caught in Universal purgatory.

And I'd like to see Inchon, too. I used to have the LP of the Jerry Goldsmith score.

3. Bill Waits

Bill Waits Stunt Coordinator

magicman
    Here are films that readily have director's cut material, but not on Blu Ray in the US:

Commando (has been released in the UK)

Independence Day

Fantastic Four (Not the 2015 bomb of a movie)

Knight & Day (has been released in Japan)

Terminator: Salvation (has been released in Japan)

xXx

Jurassic Park: The Lost World (Extended version shown F/X)

Iron Man (Extended version shown on F/X)

Iron Man 3 (Slightly longer Chinese version available for Chinese market - Really doesn't add anything to story though...just screen time to accommodate Chinese rules pertaining to US made movies shown in theaters)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I believe that VFX needs reworking for HD)

Harry Potter Movies 3-8 (They made extended versions of the first two, but stopped...)

Airplane (I remember scenes only used in TV version)

Superman (Not an expert on this, but I think that there is still material not used from TV showings that hasn't found its way into either of the movies)

4. johnmcmasters

johnmcmasters Stunt Coordinator

John McMasters
    With apologies if some of these are duplicate titles already mentioned:

Reynaldo and Clara – the original 4 hour version which is a masterpiece.

Star – the roadshow version.

The Escape Artist – in the first version prepared by the Director.

Performance – in the original version prepared by Donald Cammell which is in the possession of his widow.

The Devils - the uncensored version.

White of the Eye – not much was cut – but it would be great to have those missing seconds restored that were excised to appease the censors.

5. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" - much was shot and then cut including two Dolly Parton songs. The scenes were closer to the Broadway version and made the film a bit more serious. But being from Universal this will never happen.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I saw a pre-release cut of Death Becomes Her that I would love to see released along with the theatrical cut. Several changes but the two most notable are Tracey Ullman's character was eliminated entirely and a different ending. She played a lady bartender who Bruce Willis would confide in and eventually he would leave Meryl Streep to marry her. The ending is quite different too. Streep and Hawn don't break apart at the end like they do in the theatrical release. They are shown in Switzerland where they are quite happy but they ridicule an aged couple they see in the distance for being old and decaying and a close up reveals the aged but very happily content couple ..... Willis and Ullman.

I know there's an upcoming Shout Factory release and it would be great if they did both cuts or at least included the deleted scenes and alternate ending.

Eric Vedowski likes this.
  7. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas

8. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I would like GYSPY that includes the longer "You'll Never Get Away From Me", "Together" and the shot of Herbie in the audience at Minsky's (you can see that in the trailer). I believe there were also some trims from the scene after "Toreadorables" and in the burlesque house.