What's new

films with black humor (1 Viewer)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
The best are, as mostly listed, but here they're in one post from a fan of black comedy:

House of Yes
To Die For
Swimming with Sharks
The Player
Lock, Stock & Snatch
Very Bad Things

All others are not really all that, but I'd add a nice touching, satiric and very well written and acted mini-series which I call Robocop 4, 5, 6, and 7, they're way better than original trilogy, available on DVD from UK called The Prime Directives.
OCP finally has their Delta City! Robocop meets his son! etc...

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I second Fargo.
"I suppose that's your friend there, over in the chipper."
always runs through my head.
For sure, ck out: The Lion in Winter.
One of Katherine Hepburn's most biting roles.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For sure, ck out: The Lion in Winter.
Don't know if I agree that this is black comedy, but that would be a quibble about a fine movie. Besides it made me think of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, which may also not be a comedy but is pretty darn black.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Lew, - Your right, - I’m sure Lion would be classed Drama. During the ‘Royals’ plays against each other for power, they DO some pretty ludicrous things in dead earnest. That one room grows laughably small for so many crowned ego’s when King Philip, King Henry and the princes all accidentally converge during one night of Machiavellian plotting.
Guess that’s why I thought of it in that class, although it would not be rated as such. I have a strong sense for the sublime in many of the most tragic moments of life.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
definitely the trouble with harry. eating raoul and repo man come to mind now. we need eating raoul on dvd in the worst way!

CJ

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
we need eating raoul on dvd in the worst way!
I saw this on a fire sale in Sydney (region 4) for about 15AUD (maybe $7.75 US at the time) and did not buy it, thinking I could pick it up any time.

Just checked Amazon and, surprise it has not been released. A region 2 (PAL) is available from UK Amazon for £12.99 plus shipping.

What was I thinking?

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
These are the best dark comedys that I have seen in order of best to worst (but still great :D )
Election (Great movie! I think its underrated)
Heathers
Fargo
American Beauty
Pulp Fiction (Does that count?)
-Marshall

BarryS

Second Unit
I would like to add Happiness to the list. Although perhaps that's more sick humor than black. Particularly the end gross-out gag with the dog.
There's Something About Mary be damned!

I'd like to second Election also. One of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks