What's new

Films that you fear may NEVER be released on DVD. (1 Viewer)

GregGS

Auditioning
There are a lot, including many mentioned in this thread.

The one I think is least likely to be released of all my many wants, though, is

The Decline of Western Civilization, Part I.

My VHS of it started out bad, and keeps getting worse, too.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Rachel Papers is due out in the summer or fall from MGM as part of their "Eighties Collection."

Prospero's Books is one of those early-90's Miramax titles which have fallen through the cracks. Fox released it on VHS and LD. Other missing Greenaway titles include Drowning By Numbers (Miramax, released on VHS/LD by LIVE/Artisan) and The Belly of An Architect (Hemdale, released on VHS recently by MGM, which bodes well for an eventual release).

Other MIA Miramax films include all of those through their video distribution deal with Paramount, including K19, The Double Life of Veronique and Hellraiser III (and October titles like Toto Le Heros and The
Hairdresser's Husband).

I'm starting to feel like Marc Heuck here!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Fun With Dick and Jane has been announced for release soon - I can't remember where I read this.

I believe the extended cut of Dune has had two Japanese releases so far.

As for El Topo and The Holy Mountain - from time to time, the LD's of these have been yanked by Ebay due to complaints by the copyright holder - Allen Klein, I suppose. None recently, though, that I'm aware of.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Monster Squad, actually has been rumored for awhile, isn't it Anchor Bay working on it(i could be wrong, but I know one studio is seriously trying to get it out)

now how about Chevy Chase's Modern Problems
we need it out especially since Nell Carter passed away recently.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'd like to see...

Bachelor Mother (1939)
Dreamchild (1985)
My Brilliant Career (1979)
Night Crossing (1981)
Nobody's Business (1996)
The Ox (1991)
Phantom Lady (1944)
Queen Christina (1933)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
The White Balloon (1995)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
One flick I would like to see on DVD but I seriosuly doubt ever gets released is William Friedkin's "Cruising".

Aside from it, and Hearts of Darkness, I think every movie I've ever wanted on DVD has been released or is going to be released. I was afraid a lot of obscure titles would slide into the abyss once DVD hit it big, but in a world where I have a Region 1 special edition of The Ninth Configuration, I am a happy man.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the R2 release of BUGSY MALONE is in 1.66:1 which is actually correct for a British film. Unfortunately, it's non-animorphic although it's not like I have a R1 edition to compare it to! (Hint hint Paramount!!!)

I may just have to pick this one up.

George See

Second Unit
"Real Men" long live the greatest 80's cheesy comedy. I want the film on dvd and the soundtrack on DVD-A ok maybee the soundtrack is pushing it. Maybee now that Belushi and Ritter are both on prime time tv someone will put two and two together and realize now is the best time to put this disc out. I'm sure as soon as I hit post i'll think of ten other movies I don't think we'll ever see.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I fear that the following may never make it to DVD.
1. Lord Jim WS

I read somewhere that Sony were planning a dvd release of "Lord Jim".
I would also love to have "Night of the Generals" in ws on dvd.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
OH! WHAT A LOVELY WAR :star: :star: :star: :star:

Call Me Madam
Li'l Abner
Half a Sixpence
Darling Lili

From Television "Land of the Giants"

Ken Russell's
"The Devils" and "The Boy Friend" and the film "Performance" should come out. The last two were released on Laserdisc

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The NAACP currently has no objections about Song of the South (though they didn't really like it when it first came out). Dunno about Roger Ebert, though...
Are you sure about that?

When Disney planned to rerelease it in the 90's (with a James Earl Jones filmed introduction putting it in the historical perspective), Maya Angelou and I believe the NAACP claimed they would protest it if they went ahead with the release. So, Disney stopped all plans and said they wouldn't release it again.

As for Ebert, on his show a couple years ago (when Harry Knowles was co-hosting), Knowles said it should be released on video, but Ebert got very angry and said it shouldn't. That only historians should be allowed to view it and it was too controversial to be released.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Ken Russell's
"The Devils" and "The Boy Friend" and the film "Performance" should come out. The last two were released on Laserdisc
Performance came out on Laser by Image not Warner (Warner licensed it out to them). I just don't forsee Warner releasing it themselves on DVD.

I don't believe we'll ever see The Devils in it's uncut form on DVD (unless Warner changes it's policy).

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Too Bad Criterion couldn't release "The Devils" at least Warner would clear their name and no one would blink an eye over at Criterion. They could have a field day with this title.

Wasn't their a documentary recently put togtether over the making/cutting and distribution of this film?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
RE: Miracle Of Morgan's Creek from prestonsturges.com (though it would seem the June release date ain't happening)

Recently honored by the legendary New York theatre FILM FORUM, Mr. Bracken said at that time that it would be his last time on stage. One of his last interviews will appear as a "Special Feature" in the forthcoming dvd release of MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK (June 2003).
Criterion has no plans for Berlin Alexanderplatz because restored elements don't exist. The Foundation is trying to figure out a way to pay for the restoration work so that DVD's can be produced.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see all the classic Star Wars behind the scenes hour-long documentaries that I used to have on video...

The Making of Star Wars (hosted by R2 and C3PO)
SPFX: The Making of ESB (hosted by Mark Hamill)
Classic Creatures of ROTJ (hosted by Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams)
From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga (hosted by Mark Hamill)

Also the 2-hour early 90s PBS special "George Lucas: The Magic of Myth"

And of course the Star Wars Holiday special. :)

I'm sure none of this stuff will end up on the eventual DVD special editions of the original trilogy. Lucas will no doubt produce NEW documentary supplements instead.

There were also some great Indiana Jones "Making of" documentaries similar to the Star Wars ones above. Two for Raiders, two for Temple of Doom, and one for Last Crusade. I doubt Paramount will include any of those on the upcoming DVDs. One of the Temple of Doom ones was even hosted by William Shatner! Now that is a special worth seeing :)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah... another one just came to mind. "The Pee Wee Herman Show"... that classic HBO comedy special from the early 80s before Pee Wee became well known from the movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I'd love to have the full uncut special on DVD, because the version I've seen in recent years (usually shown on Comedy Central) is censored and has about 10-15 minutes of the more gratuitous comedy edited out of it. This was a darker more adult version of the Pee Wee Herman humor we've seen in his movies and his Saturday morning kid's show. It's hilarious and I wish HBO would release it on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks