What's new

Films That Personally Offend You (1 Viewer)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Wisdom really did it for me. The movie was pretty bad anyway, but when Emilio woke up in the bathtub at the end, and it all turned out to be a dream (no spoiler field, you should never watch this movie), I just about screamed. Talk about a waste of my time and money! Even after all these years, it still bugs me.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The few films that have offended my sensibilities are Patch Adams and most Kevin Spacey films. They are pandering ingenuinely sentimental on the one hand and insulting, hypocritical and elitist on the other.

And no, that list of Spacey flicks does not include the Usual Suspects. I'm thinking of K-Pax, American Beauty, and Pay It Forward. They reek of a disdain for the "common man" with their smug self-importance.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
There are of course many movies that make you disappointed, but offended is something else. For me yes the perfect example would be Hollywood Homicide. I got really offended by this movie. I just hated it!

Robert TX

Auditioning
Crying Game pissed me off. I fell for the marketing hype and saw this at the theater which was packed with others like myself. When the movie ended, we all just walked out bewildered and fuming. I remember going to see Groundhog Day right afterward to wipe the bad taste from my brain.

Phone Booth. This may or may not be a good movie. I haven't seen it because the preview looked so aweful. I got the feeling it was a Speed remake inside of a phone booth. Bad concept.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, when I said "Personally Offended" I didn't really mean so much literally, but just a premise that sounds so stupid that you get mad that a studio had to pass on something else to make said film.

I'm thinking of the Vice Versa of this situation, where something looks, or turned out to be so ourageously stupid that you try to picture the pitch to the studio executives. "Ok, we have a guy, who's looking for a change in his dull life......yadda..yadda..stupid idea....lame actors...yadda...yaddda...and then the guy realized there's more to life than just money and power"
"Great, we love it!! Let's go with it"
The recent "Awesome-O" episode of "South Park" spoofed this perfectly, where Cartman in robot guise pitches thousands of lame movie ideas, all starring Adam Sandler, to the utter delight of the studio executives who then are already thinking up tites and other crap.

Here's another one I thought of. "Save the Last Dance" Admittedly, I did not see it, but here was my perceptions of the trailers I saw for it. White girl who was trained in Ballet all her life. Mother dies in some accident. Girl ends up in a racially diverse school where she dances like a white girl. Jaws of onlookers drop. Girl befriends a black guy who teaches her some Flava. I realize that the film is probably about more than that. But when I saw those trailers, my eyes popped out of my head.

And another. "Jack Frost" Michael Keaton dies somehow and his ghost returns to his young son in the form of A FRIGGIN SNOWMAN!!!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a perfectly okay movie can REALLY annoy me. This hasn't happened in a while, but one that sticks out is "Conspiracy Theory." In hindsight I can see the film was okay, but the day I saw it I really ripped into it. When my roommate went to see it he didn't understand what my problem was. I've thought about watching it again just to see if it will elicit the same response.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Cameron, Conspiracy Theory had the same affect on me too. It started out OK but soon got so illogical & Hollywoodized that I was really pissed off and annoyed.

The Bone Collector has always been my number one most infuriating film, mainly because it really, really insulted the intelligence of the audience.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've ever been offended by a film.

I have, however, been completely stupefied on occasion, most recently by Taiwanese New Wave. I had high expectations, based on word-of-mouth, for Tsai Ming-Liang's What Time is it There?. Apparently, I had spoken with the wrong people.

Entire scenes of this film are devoted to urinating into containers, shopping for snacks at a bodega, eating these snacks in a hotel rool, and other acts of, generally, nothing at all. Throw in a rather pretentious nod to The 400 Blows, complete with a cameo by Jean-Pierre Leaud, and, well, what more needs to be said?

The "critics" say "[a] pronounced rendering of the impossibility of...intimacy and connection." I say "junk."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that I’m offended by films like Birth of a Nation and Triumph of Will—ones that promote a social agenda that is repugnant to me—and ones that do it well.

aldamon

Second Unit
For recent films, Rat Race and Kangaroo Jack fit the bill. I borrowed Rat Race from a coworker and just sat dumbfounded at how dumb it really was. I sat through Kangaroo Jack twice during a trip to California on Continental. Ugh. Absolutely demoralizing experience. They showed Daredevil before it and it looked like Casablanca in comparison.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I am annoyed that there was plenty of money to remake "Dawn of the Dead", but that no one will let George Romero make a new film.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Anytime Michael Moore gets behind a camera, records situations, then takes it to the editing room to make it fit his slanted agendea and then calls it a documentary tends to rile my blood pressure.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I like to pretend this movie doesn't exist. It actually came free with my DVD player when I bought it 5 years ago. It was the one film I wouldn't admit to owning (that is until it got donated to a charity sale). I'd just love to get into the mind process of the studio executive who cast Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze. :thumbsdown:

"Can't get Patrick Stewart? Let's get Arnold Schwarzeneggger!"

:confused:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I would suggest that film historians disagree on this issue.

And even if they were united in believing that Griffith was not out to make a racist film and had no agenda, its source material most certainly was racist and had an agenda, the full title being, The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan. An alternate title to the movie (back in the day) was, “The Clansman”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks