What's new

Films that give you genuine goosebumps. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't mean goosebumps of the frightful sort, I mean one's that are brought about because the film you are watching is so great and so wonderful that they just happen.

I had one such experience tonight, I just now finished watching one of my all time favorite films Field of Dreams on dvd after replacing my old non-anamorphic disc with the 2 disc anniversary edition today.

The phenominon isn't only limited to scenes that are obvious (the father/son catch scene etc), but rather everything, the music (my favorite James Horner score with his Titanic score a very close second), the story, the simplicity and the gentleness of the whole film. The film God's were truly smiling down on Phil Alden Robinson when this film was being made.

I have many films that give me this reaction, this is merely the most recent. What are some that have effected you in a similar manner?

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are two that come to mind.

In Shawshank, as Andy (Tim Robbins) is talking to Red (Morgan Freeman)after his long stretch in solitary, and tells Red to "Get busy living or get busy dying." You honestly did not know what was on Andy's mind, and thought it possible he would kill himself. Of course, I had read the novella ages ago, and knew what was coming, but Robbins and Freeman really, really made that scene.

In The Green Mile, the scene just after the guards take John Coffey (Michael Clark Duncan) out of the prison, to go and help Warden Mores's wife, John stops, and picks up a handful of fallen leaves. He stands up again, and sniffs it, and there is such a blissful expression on his face, a childlike appreciation for something so simple, and yet so profound. Especially when he extends the leaf litter to the guards, and they are affected, too, in a way they were unprepared for. Michael Clark Duncan is awesome throughout that movie, but especially in this scene. I was quite annoyed when I found out he was nominated for an Oscar and did not get it.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Shawshank and Green Mile are good picks, both very moving films... BTW, have you seen the King Kong video diary where they bring in Frank Darabont to direct a scene because Peter Jackson falls asleep? It's found at www.kongisking.net

And now that I have established the above connection, it should be no surprise that for me it's the Lord of the Rings, especially the Battle at Pelennor Fields. It's so grand that I often still don't believe what I'm seeing... There are more places throughout the trilogy: when you first see Arwen, when you first see Edoras, the Lighting of the Beacons sequence, and some that I don't remember right now...

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
A couple:

"...you broke my heart Fredo! You broke my heart!...'
- The Godfather

Schindler spotting the red-dressed girl during the liquidation of the Ghetto.
- Schindler's List

The first time we see AT-AT Walker (thought binoculars)
- The Empire Strikes Back

Everybody kneeling in front of the hobbits at the end.
- The Return of the King

Kuajan dropping his coffee cup.
- The Usual Suspects

Celia's Blues
- The Color Purple

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
yeah, the Return of the King had a few real moments for me. I don't mean goosebumps either but more like a grapefruit sized lump welling up in my throat.

The Horn sounding and the Riders of Rohan arriving at Pelennor.

The "you bow to no man" scene was the most amazing scene ever for me.

I will agree with the above mentioned scenes as well.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
First, I'm thankful that there are so many moments like these in cinema that I could never list every one of them here...

I wholeheartedly agree with many of the movies already mentioned. Several times throughout the LOTR series I feel that familiar cascade of feelings that gives you a warm fuzzy inside. Field of Dreams, Shawshank, and The Green Mile also have some special moments.

One of the best examples that leaps to mind for me is the first time Reeve changes into Superman in S:TM. Williams' score literally moves that same familiar feeling right down my spine as Superman reveals himself and saves the day.

And there are so many more...:)

StephenA

Screenwriter
As strange as it may seem, the scene in the Phantom Menace when Darth Maul disrobes and ignites his lightsaber with 2 sides. I never saw any of the the trailers or kept up with any spoilers before seeing the movie, so I didn't expect to see that at all.

Obi-Wan talking with Anakin after he turned. The whole thing, even after he struck Anakin down gave me goosebumps because of the way Ewan McGregor played the role. When Anakin yelled "I hate you!" did as well.

The part in Shawshank Redemption after Brooks is released. I felt bad for him because he felt so lost, and it got to me when he killed himself. I liked when Red carved his name next to Brooks' after he was released.

The last fight and the death of Maximus in Gladiator. Just the way the whole thing played out, mixed with the music did it for me.

The swordfight among the trees and near the river in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's strange reason why too, because it made me think of a cool spring day where everything has bloomed with a breeze going through it and you just take in all the scenery.

The ending in 187. I definitely didn't expect them both to die by shooting themselves in the head. It was an intense ending to to a crazy movie, at least in my opinion.

There's probably more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

Andrew Pat

Auditioning
Towards the end of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, when they're sitting on the beach, and Kate Winslet's character says something like, "This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon" and he says, "I know." It was just such a sad moment - the realization by two people that their relationship is about to end, even though they both don't want it to, and they just have to wait for it together. It was just such a moving moment for me, the inevitability of a doomed relationship.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Fellowship of the Ring - Pretty much the whole movie, but most notably:

-Frodo waking up in Rivendell, walking out on the balcony, seeing Bilbo...

-Gandalf leading the fellowship into the great hall of Moria. "I think I'll risk a bit more light."

From ROTK, Gandalf arriving on Gwaihir.

From Close Encounters of the Third Kind

-When Roy and Gillian climb the hill and Devil's Tower is properly revealed. "I can't believe it's real."

-Roy's last look at Earth and the people on it before ascending the ramp into the mothership.

From The Empire Strikes Back, in the asteroids. "Never tell me the odds."

From The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (my fave fantasy film until FOTR was released), when the Baron dances in the air with Venus, a jealous Vulcan looking on. "It's nice, isn't ! We've just had it done!"

The one thing all these scenes appear to have in common is brilliant accompanying music. Thanks you Messrs. Shore, Williams and Kamen (R.I.P.)

--Jefferson Morris

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The scene in Road Warrior when Max points his gun into the camera and unloads both barrels into the windshield of the red car :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
One of the greatest scenes in all the history of cinema (only needs a quote to know what it is):

"Play La Marseillaise"

"Do you hear that Terry? You walk and they all walk in with you." followed by "Where's my hook? Gimme my hook." from On the Waterfront

From "I will take him." to "What Grace is given me, let it pass to him." to "If you want him, come and claim him!!" and the incomparable ride of Arwen and Frodo in between. Truly one of the master scenes in all three films.

P.S. Once again, without realizing it, I choose scenes of utter defiance in the face of evil. My shrink would have a field day with this (if I had one).

SteveJKo

Second Unit

That one does it for me as well!
The following do too:

GONE WITH THE WIND - the wounded at the train station.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - Scout meets Boo.

KING KONG - "twas beauty killed the beast" Okay this is more "chills" for me than "goosebumps".

STAR WARS - The first time Luke looks at the double sunset with that wonderful music playing (was it called Ben's Theme?).

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - "I am your father". There is no describing what the atmosphere in the theater was like the first time we heard this. Either you were there or you weren't.

JAWS - The story of the sinking of the battleship. What a haunting scene!

SOPHIE'S CHOICE - When we find out what the choice is.

I could go on like this all day!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of another one (I'll leave off the title and just use the quote, see if you can guess)

"Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!"

Another great act of defiance.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - "Meet me in Montauk"

The Thin Red Line - When the Americans attack the Japanese camp. Hans Zimmer's score is incredible in that scene.

The end of Shawshank

Revenge of the Sith- The end of the duel. "You were the chosen one!" Also the Order 66 montage.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I was in the middle of an argument with my now ex-girlfriend when I first went to see The Sixth Sense in a theater. The movie slowly drew me in, and by the time:the voice over, "I see dead people, but they don't know they're dead" plays as Malcolm Crowe realizes the truth of whats going on,
was one of the most surprising things I've seen at the movies.

In Narcwhen Jason Patric's character finally learns what happened to Ray Liotta's partner

Father Damien's dream in The Exorcist when he sees his mother in the distance but can't hear or reach her in time.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Near the end of Blade Runner comes to mind when Roy talks about the things he has seen and done saying:

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

I think part of it was the poetic expression makes him more in touch with life than those around him plus the term "time to die" echoes the exact same words that Leon says earlier only with a very different meaning.

That and moments later Gaff says:

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

The combo certainly got to me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I must be a freak. No, I am a freak, but almost none of the ones mentioned so far do a damn thing for me. The two main exceptions are the death scene in Blade Runner. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." is a great one. Also, the scene in Eternal Sunshine where Clementine points out that it's almost over. So, you two guys are obviously nearly as big freaks as I am.

Some of mine...

Fiddler on the Roof
Once Upon a Time in the West
Cinema Paradiso...

Those are all I can think of right now.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
A few films and scenes off the top of my head:

West Side Story, but especially "The Prologue," "Cool" and "America"

The climax of Defending Your Life on the tram runway

The train wreck in The Fugitive, and his escapes on the day of the St. Patrick's Day parade.

The China Syndrome

Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn's verbal battles in The Lion In Winter

Streisand signing "My Man" at the climax of Funny Girl

And 2 of my all-time favorite films which I'll identify with quotes:

"I am Mrs. DeWinter now!"

and

"Come. It's time to keep your appointment with the Wicker Man."

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much everything Theoden does in LOTR. That part in The Two Towers, when he first comes out of his spell and draws his sword...that's good stuff :)

Sam Spade's whole dialogue to Brigid at the end of The Maltese Falcon. "Maybe they don't hang you by your pretty neck."

In The Searchers, when John Wayne rides over the hill and first sees the cabin burning and he looks likes he's about to shoot heat rays out of his eyes.

This one's more like a battering ram to the guts than a goosebump moment, but in The Thin Red Line, the part that always gets me is when Ben Chaplin, who's going through that war-torn shithole, opens the letter from his sweetheart, Mirando Otto, and finds out that she's taken up with another man back home because being alone for so long was "too hard" for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks