What's new

Films That Barely Got by with a PG-13 (1 Viewer)

RafaelB

Second Unit
Dreamscape was the first PG-13 movie released, but Red Dawn was the first PG-13 *rated*. :)

Rafael.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Don't think so. According to IMDB, Red Dawn was released on 10 August 1984 with Dreamscape following 5 days later.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

I could have sworn "Night of the Comet" was the first movie released as PG-13 followed by "Red Dawn" a week later. However imdb.com says the release date was 16 November 1984 and that doesn't seem right. Then again google "first PG-13 movie" and every link says "Red Dawn".

I'm still surprised that "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was originally rated G and the directors cut is now PG. I guess the tighter editing raised the tension level.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I think it's more likely a swear word or two were found in the later cut.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
am i the only who pays absolutely no attention to what a movie is rated? i realize that it determines how successful a film can be at the box office, but i havent looked for a movie's rating since i was too young to see a movie rated R.

CJ

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
Also surprised that the Jodie Foster movie Nell got a pg-13, hell there's a full frontal skinny dipping scene, and the movie was made in 94.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
In the movie Gattaca, Jude Law uses the F-bomb twice. because there's really no other objectionable content, it skated with a PG.

Along this bizarre double standard (or non-standard): here's a little anecdote
In the commentary for "Bring it On" (go ahead, laugh) the director talks about a certain sequence of dialogue in which the original lines were (to the effect of):
female cheerleader: "She doesn't give any sass."
male cheerleader: "-right only head."

-that line, according to the MPAA when they submitted the film would warrant an R rating.
They then dubbed the line, "only tongue." (which makes no sense) and it preserved the PG-13 rating.

The director then mused that they could have had the female cheerleader respond with "F--- you." and they still would have had a PG-13 movie, according to the MPAA's guidelines.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Grudge was pretty weak, I think the PG13 is right.

Daredevil recut got a R, but besides a couple swear words, it really doesnt have anything worse than the theatrical PG13 does.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Sheena: Queen Of The Jungle (1984) featured quite a bit of nudity but somehow got away with a PG. Not that as a teen I was complaining, Tanya Roberts was a rather beautiful woman, but I never understood how it got a PG.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Maybe becasue there was no PG-13 rating when it was rated. Many films that would be an R today fell under the PG rating (i.e. Jaws was PG) before the first PG-13 (Red Dawn, Aug. 10, 1984 not Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom or Gremlins!, they were both PG when released). Sheena was released after Red Dawn, but there is no information on when it was rated, and other films were released after Red Dawn but rated before (Flamingo Kid).

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Wasn't this very subject just discussed. I could have sworn there was another thread about this...then again I am getting old, I just turned 35 this year.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

I pay attention when it looks like a film that should have gone for an R was most likely neutered to get a PG-13. The new Samuel L Jackson movie, "The Man", that is coming out is PG-13 and it looks like material that would have been better served by an R. At least that's my impression after seeing the trailer.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The skinny dipping scene was actually from the back and moonlit and completely non-sexual. I guess that's how they got away with it.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
There wasn't anything even remotely sexual about that scene. I think it was used to display her innocence that they "got away" with it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was watching the andromeda strain last night, and that film got a G rating, it contained a shot of a (dead) woman's breasts, and a few shots of men's asses.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks