What's new

Films George Lucas has altered on dvd. (1 Viewer)

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Interestingly, the DVD version of AOTC was probably the theatrical version -the digital theatrical version, that is. He might have tinkered with it a bit further, but I know the digital print had at least a few revisions.

And also, some of the dialogue changes for the SEs were the result of different sound mixes. A more technical-oriented person could explain, but to my understanding, there were at least three sound mixes made for each film, a mono, stereo and six track. For the SEs, Burtt decided to make an entirely new mix that would utilize the best elements of the previous mixes, and for whatever reasons, each sound mix might have small alterations and some of those appeared on the final mix Burtt did for the SEs.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the DVD contains some differences from the DLP version. At the end of Anakin's confession to Padme of the Tusken slaughter, there is extra dialogue not in the theatrical release ("To be angry is to be human").
Also, when the clonetrooper asks Padme if she's alright after falling off the gunship, she responds with an alert "Yes" in the theatrical version. In the DVD, it's a more groggy sounding "Uh-uh." I remember folks making fun of that scene when it first came out.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The other night while I was sleeping I heard some noise from the computer room. I went to take a look and George had broken into my house and was altering my home movies. True story.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's still one of the best transfers I've seen for a film (in terms of the lack of interference between the film element and the DVD itself). I'm amazed by how spotless and sharp the image is. No edge enhancement, pixelation, DVNR smearing, etc. The fact that it was shot in Techniscope and shot mostly at night makes this even more impressive.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

The line was changed back in 1980 -- when they made the 70mm mix, the line was "You're lucky you got out of there". When later making the 35mm stereo mix, they went with "You're lucky you don't taste so good". Home video editions have been sourced from the 35mm version. However, when making the Special Edition, they went back to the 70mm version, either because they started with the 70mm mix or because they went right back to the original recordings. They probably did not remember that they had changed the line between mixes -- unlike us, the people who made the Star Wars films did not grow up watching them once a week.

You could call it a "mistake" or maybe an oversight -- but really, it's just the older version of the line.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Similar to the ESB change, is the ROTJ Han Solo line from "It's all right; trust me!" to "It's all right; I can see a lot better now." while rescuing Lando.

Also the "shelter built" to "shelter up" bit on Hoth.

The Lucasfilm story on the Luke line is the "get out of there" was what was recorded on-set. I'm guessing it's the same with the Han Solo line to Lando. So the SE's and the DVD's got the originally recorded (less funny) lines for all posterity.

Funny how the early revisions evreyone liked were scrapped, while new revisions no one liked made it in.

But it's very untrue that nobody ever talked about that Luke to R2-D2 line change, because we've talked it to death in numerous threads here over the years.

My favorite response was someone's misty "Bye, funny line!"

The Han line gets me just as much. He's basically a walking punchline in ROTJ, so it made sense to have his "trust me" in it. There was a time Ford could have had that patented as his catchphrase (think ROTLA) before folks like Arnold showed up and started using it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now if Lucas could futz with HOWARD THE DUCK and remove Howard competely (as we've wished he would do with Jar Jar in TPM), it might be a tolerable movie. Not a bad John Barry score, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks