Films George Lucas has altered on dvd.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bryan^H, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I will include a tiny slice of The Empire Strikes Back, because it's a small change that I don't think many people noticed.

-The Empire Strikes Back-When R2 gets spit out of the swamp monster on Dagobah here was the original line from Luke Skywalker"Your lucky you don't taste good"
    and the special edition"Your lucky you got out of there" I'm always confused by this change as it didn't really need to be changed....at all.

-American Graffitti -For the dvd a new CG sky(looks pretty) at the beginning. As far as I know the only change.

-THX1138-Where do I start on this? Lets just say it got a completely new chase sequence CGI style toward the end among many other changes throughout. I can't really complain that much though, because it is a stunning transfer from beginning to end, and I liked it better than the original. But the fact that the original will no longer even exist for those who liked it is kind of disturbing.

*A bit of off the cuff useless information: I always wondered what the fascination Lucas had with the whole THX, and the number 1138 which usually show up somewhere in his movies. I was told by my mega pop culturist friend that THX 1138 was George Lucas's first phone number#. I thought that was kind of funny.

2. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

You left out Star Wars Episodes I, II, IV, VI, all the little touchups in the Indy films. There's probably more I'm missing.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Jim, your right about the Star Wars trilogy, but I figured that has already been discussed to the point of absurdity. It's pretty much common knowledge now, thats why I brought up the small change in TESB on Dagobah nobody ever talks about.

I guess the real reason for this thread is find out from other people changes I'm not aware of. I would love to hear about the chages in the Indy movies, as I didn't know any of them were altered.

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Some of the unintended things that were visible (like Indy's reflection in the glass when he's face to face with a cobra) were digitally erased. Nothing major was changed.

5. James Ryfun

James Ryfun Stunt Coordinator

There were a lot of changes to Empire. For instance, anytime you see that snow monster's face - that's new(er) footage. The only thing you saw in the original thatrical version was a big white paw.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The American Graffiti dvd also contains the 1977 (or '79, I can't remember which) cut of the film with a few minutes of extra footage and altered end credits...they had to change one of the end bios to conform to the dates in the sequel, and there is a Dolby Stereo logo on them as well. So, the end credits have been changed.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The opening credits for American Graffiti were digitally re-created. Note how the title looks very different than seen in the documentary.

All for the better, I think. The original opening title shot looked awful, but the revised actually fits with the film. The stereo remix (from 1978) is awesome... has to be one of the best regular stereo surround mixes I've heard (along with the theatrical cut of The Blues Brothers).

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Not true. You see the Wampa's face when Luke says "What's the matter girl? You smell something?" and then the camera flashes to a roaring Wampa face. Scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. [​IMG]

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Actually, Episode III does have one change on the DVD. In the film, there is a wipe between the scene where Padme's ship leaves Mustafar and the closeup of Anakin's robotic arm clawing at the sand. In the DVD, the wipe is replaced with a normal cut.

10. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Doh! And here I thought I might actually have a theatrical presentation of a Star Wars film on DVD. Ah well. [​IMG]

11. James Ryfun

James Ryfun Stunt Coordinator

You may be right there. I could have sworn they only showed the Wampa's paw reaching out at Luke, but I'll concede that point. [​IMG] But they added a lot more of him in the Special editions.

Other changes to that particular film are highlighted here:
    http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/a...-part-two.html

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I believe "More American Graffiti" has music replacement but I think that's a case of Universal being cheap as opposed to Lucas intentionally changing the music.

13. David Allen

David Allen Stunt Coordinator

Did Lucas have anything to do with the sequel ?

14. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Yeah he did, it's a LucasFilm production and Lucas is credited as Executive Producer.

15. DaveRU

DaveRU Stunt Coordinator

He also color corrected the opening titles in Caravan of Courage. Not that anyone noticed [​IMG]

As an aside are Willow and Radioland Murders the only non-tampered films on DVD?

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Another pointless ESB change, Vader's line from the simple, but powerful, "Bring my shuttle" to the drawn out, poorly redubbed, "alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". The original lines reflects his mood much better.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Dang! I never knew American Graffiti was F-ed with. George strikes again! I guess we should just give him time for Willow to be marked all over with little George's box of crayolas.

Btw, More AG is highly underrated. It's not great, but good.

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Well, just credits. Not like he's putting Jar Jar in place of Paul Le Mat. I agree that it's a great one... probably his best movie.

19. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    That's true. I didn't notice anything. I do wish I'd saved my old VHS of it for comparisons. But who can complain if they don't notice the changes?

Yep, I love that damn movie. I feel like I've lived a day in the early 60s after watching it.

I guess that can be distracting when a film opens kind of messy. A Boy & his Dog has that. There's a lot of grainy mess, then it freezes and then restarts. George should help out Q on that one. [​IMG]

20. James_Koch

James_Koch Agent

Actually on the DVD you can compare the changes. In the documentary thats on the disk, they show a clip of the original, unaltered opening credit shot.

Frankly, I don't care much about this change and I actually prefer it to the origninal. It corrects some continuity by establishing the film starting at sunset.