What's new

Filmmaker Mode (1 Viewer)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown

We shall see just how successfully these manufacturers and content providers implement this promising initiative. This is nothing new. The professional display calibration community has been enabling this option for discriminating cinephiles at home for decades. As the presumptive "godfather" of video display accuracy, Joe Kane, has been saying all along to anyone who would listen, "It's all about the art!"

It is also important to remind the video industry that a significant challenge remains when considering what is really necessary in delivering an authentic viewing experience of cinematic art in the home. Any video installation must involve a system approach. The video display is only one component in an array of essential parts that compose the whole of how a viewer perceives and experiences the program being reproduced.

Motion picture experts agree that the sound track provides at least 50% of the emotion and impact of a movie or major television production. Attention to detail in telling a dramatic story includes sound, picture, and usually actors' performances. The environment (room conditions) in which the program is presented also has a profound effect upon how the audience experiences the presentation of a program. Room acoustics, placement of equipment relative to the seating location, lighting conditions, and colors in the surroundings, are all important to how the human perceives the presentation. A skilled designer will attend to all of these details when implementing a home entertainment system.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, PVA, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So after trying different settings on my new Hisense 65U8G for the past week and being unhappy with most of them, I decided to try enabling Filmmaker Mode this morning. While it definitely lowers the screen brightness (from the 1500 max nits to 100 nits), it also solves a lot of issues I haven’t been able to work out with picture adjustments. For example, the Hisense has terrible stutter when watching 1080p and 4K @ 24 fps source material with all motion enhancements turned off. Setting the motion handling to Film mode fixed some of this but the screen brightness still made scenes where action is happening in front of a bright or white background unwatchable. Enabling Filmmaker Mode, while greatly darkening the picture overall, almost completely eliminates the stutter issue. It’s still there but maybe 5% of what it would be if I left picture mode on HD Theater. So far, this is the most theater-like picture quality I’ve seen. A lot of the bright pop and dazzle of the image is now gone but specular highlights from HDR still remain in place. I have to watch more test material but right now, I’m going to just leave Filmmaker Mode enabled and call it a day.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
To elaborate a little on my above post, my Blu-ray player is a Panasonic UB420 UHD player so it’s only HDR10 capable. Since the Hisense has a 1500 nit peak brightness, I went into the Panasonic’s advanced picture menu and set the tone mapping to Super High Luminance LCD then used the HDR Optimizer on the remote. This also helped to make a huge difference in picture quality.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After playing around with the settings on my LG C1, I ended up using ISF Expert (Bright mode) as the default, with Filmmaker Mode set to Auto Detect, and that seems to work better for me, so only content encoded with "Filmmaker Mode" will trigger that setting.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
After playing around with the settings on my LG C1, I ended up using ISF Expert (Bright mode) as the default, with Filmmaker Mode set to Auto Detect, and that seems to work better for me, so only content encoded with "Filmmaker Mode" will trigger that setting.
if properly setup, ISF Expert Dark Mode will always be more accurate then Filmmaker Mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks