Filmed credits vs. video credits

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harry-N, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    A long time ago in a home
    theatre far far away...

Something I've long noted and not seen discussed here (perhaps it has been, and I've just not seen it) are alterations to credit sequences on various movie DVDs, where they substitute video credits - to make them more readable, I suppose - for a film's normal filmed credits. Filmed text can be hard to read on a TV screen, and we all remember the days of VHS tapes as we squinted to try to read who the "Best Boy" was on the blurry end credits.

This is a minor point, and certainly nothing that I lose sleep over, nor would it keep me from buying a title. But in the world of purists out there, I wonder if there ARE folks who are bothered by this practice. I know that there are people bothered by player-generated subtitles, so this sort-of fits in a similar category.

It just occured to me as I skimmed through the latest DVD of THE LITTLE MERMAID when I saw that the end credits had been video generated. I know the STAR WARS films all had their credits redone with video, and there are probably quite a few others, none of which pop into my head at the moment.

I suppose that as long as the credits retain the same fonts, time on screen, method of scrolling. whatever, I'm not adverse to them being more readable on the electronic screens we have in our home theatres, and yet it's something I notice, so maybe the purist in me would rather have fuzzier filmed credits.

Just wondering how the membership here feels about that.

Harry

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The bad thing is when they interlace the credits. They look okay when they're moving, but they're completely unreadable.

3. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I was wondering if TLM's credits had been redone - they mention Technicolor's restoration and stuff. I was wondering if maybe they had just redone the credits for the 1997 theatrical release and technicolor had done restoration for that one.

4. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I agree from a purist standpoint this should not be done. However, I think sometimes it only appears that is what was done.

Most film credits nowadays are no longer done photographically as an optical. They're done in After Effects or something and added to the film at the digital intermediate stage. That eliminates a lot, visually, of what we associate with "filmed" credits (gate weave, slight blurriness, etc).

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Apocalypse Now (the original) comes to mind.

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I just remember the abomination that occurred with the second VHS release of TLM: they squeezed the credits over to the left side of the screen and played a "music video" of Jodi Benson lip-syncing "Part of Your World." It was awful. I'd take video-generated credits over that any day, but I would still prefer the original "film" credits.

7. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I was going to mention the credits for the Star Wars Special Editions- but when you consider how those films were butchered otherwise, I guess the credits don't make much difference. At least the OUT is on DVD now, complete with the original film credits (albeit in non-anamorphic form).

I'm against altering films, and I consider the credits to be part of the film, along with any accompanying music, (I always watch film credits all the way through, even when I go to the theater) so I don't think credits should be altered or re-created in any way.

I also think that if there is any restoration work done on a film, there should be a separate set of credits, that come after the original credits. The original credits shouldn't be altered to include the names of the people/companies who were involved in the restoration.

8. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

My THX LaserDisc set of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki has something like this. The original episodes are presented in unaltered form (albeit the original soundtrack is only mono, while the stereo track is a Dolby Surround mixdown of the 5.1 mix used for the AC-3), and at the end of the disc there are credits for sound remixing, telecine and video mastering, and so on.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The credits usually go by way too fast in the theater for me to take it all in and usually you have to read them in between all the jerks leaving during the credits [​IMG] so I prefer any method, be it original or redone, that retains the best legibility presented on DVD so I can pause and read anything I want.

Credits should be about legibility and not so much original presentation.but all DVD is interlaced...the thing that kills me is on the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD's. They have some wierd interlacing issue that I've even noticed during the HBO presentations that don't allow pausing on the DVD without horrid reversed field dominance.