Filmation's Archie Show and Sabrina the Teenage Witch on dvd

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron Lee Green, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I read on the tv shows on dvd website that these old Archie cartoon shows from the 70s are going to be released on Tuesday. Anyone going to buys these? Or does anyone have an advance copy, can you please review. Not much info at amazon. I found more info at archie comics website. Dvds are approx. $12.00, contain 4 episodes each. Released by Nostalgia Ventures. I couldn't find anything at their website.

2. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Has anyone bought these yet? I'm dying for a review before plunking down cash for them. I loved these shows as a kid, but I want to know how good the transfers are. They aren't available at amazon.com, so I wonder if it's being released by some fly by night company. Anyone?

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Theyre being distributed excluively through Archie comics official website as far as I know, I placed my order for all 4 discs earlier this week.

4. Carlos Garcia

Marco, as soon as you get them, could you please write a review on them? I'm very curious. Thanks.

Carlos.

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Sure thing Carlos.

6. Ron Lee Green

I'm still interested in hearing about these, too. $12.00 seems a lot of money to pay for only 4 episodes, especially since the animation is simple and recycled in every episode. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I usually pay 20-30 bucks for a whole season.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

20 bucks for a whole season... where do you buy your dvd's?

2 hours of remastered content per disc of obscure forgotten 70s cartoons seems more than reasonable to me...

people generally pay double that for an hour and a half barebones movie.

8. Ron Lee Green

2 hours of remastered content? Still waiting to hear if they're remastered or not. . .
    This will also probably run an hour and a half without commercials--not 2 hours.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy the dvds.
    Remember, I'm the one who started this thread in the first place. I also have fond memories of the show, and I even have the old vhs releases. I just wish they would offer a more attractive dvd package. Maybe a boxed set with all four discs titled, The Best of Archie.

Apparently, there are consumers out there, like yourself, who will buy it no matter what.

9. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

They say each DVD has over 90 minutes...so I'm guessing about 100 minutes each.

If you buy them all together you get a free CD.

10. Carlos Garcia

I finally caved in and ordered all 4 of these shows. I grew up watching Filmation cartoons and I LOVE them! I wonder if these Archies cartoons will include the episode where they play "Sugar Sugar"? Not sure if that was on the show "Everything's Archie"...Anyway, I wish they would finally release the entire Filmation cartoon catalog on DVD, especially "The Groovie Ghoulies"!

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I love the Groovie Goolies[​IMG]

12. Carlos Garcia

Good news gang. I got all 4 DVDs today and they all look awesome and appear to have been completely remastered! Man these bring back so many good memories, you should've seen the huge smile when I popped in "The Archie Show" and heard the theme song "Everything's Archie"! You'd think I just lost 36 yrs of age! If you grew up watching the Filmation Archies cartoons, then I can't recommend these enough! The 4 DVDs include 4 episodes on each disc. THE ARCHIE SHOW includes the episodes: Kids Day in Riverdale, Anchors Away!, Riverdale's Costume Dance and Contest, and U.S. of Archie. ARCHIE'S CLASSIC CARTOONS includes: THE ARCHIE SHOW, ARCHIE AND SABRINA SURPRISE PACKAGE, ARCHIE'S TV FUNNIES and U.S. OF ARCHIE. SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH includes: THE RIVERDALE PET SHOW, THE RIVERDALE SEA AQUARIUM, SABRINA AND THE GHOULIES (FEATURING THE GROOVIE GHOULIES!!!) and U.S. OF ARCHIE. ARCHIE'S TV FUNNIES includes: RIVERDALE GRAND PRIX AUTO RACE, THE RIVERDALE AIR CIRCUS, THE GHOST OF SWEDLOW SWAMP, and U.S. OF ARCHIE. Each disc has bonuses featuring theme songs, skits, trivia questions and more! I love these and only wish they would release every episode from each series and especially THE GROOVIE GHOULIES! I highly recommend all 4 DVDs! Here's the site where they can be bought:

http://stuffshop.archiecomics.com/arfrleco.html

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

^ I just got my shipment as well and mirror your thoughts exactly!!

I haven't had a chance to get through half of the discs yet but what I have seen is absolutely amazing and even though I never grew up with these shows originally, this brings me right back 20 years to those Saturday morning syndicated reruns and the feeling is just priceless!

I highly recommend all 4 discs!!

14. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    Hoping someone can help me with this question concerning the old Classic Media release of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I first purchased it many years ago and it always bothered me that there is no writing on the spine. I've since re-purchased it (new, shrink-wrapped) twice over the years with the same result. My question is: Did this release initially ship with a slip cover that just doesn't exist anymore?

When looking at the front cover of my set, there are slight differences from the cover as it appears at Amazon.com (even though that's where I've ordered other new copies over the years).

I was looking to sell off a few of my spares on Amazon, but I see it's out of print and going for high prices. While I don't wish to list it at ridiculous pricing, I do want to make sure someone else isn't getting an incomplete set.

I've posted some screen shots below of a) the Amazon cover, b) the cover of mine, c) a side shot of the spine on my copy.

Attached Files:

15. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    I bought mine in 2008 when first released. It came with a slipcover (see pic) with text and art on the spine. Hope this helps.
    sabrinadvd.jpg

JayHink likes this.
  16. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for. Much appreciated, Kasey.

17. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I would like to see somebody finish releasing the Archie series, but as the ones they did release are out of print, that doesn't seem too likely. They never got around to Archie's TV Funnies and U.S. Of Archie, while The New Archie/Sabrina Hour was only released in Australia (IIRC) in re-edited half-hour form (maybe all that exists today) retitled The Archie And Sabrina Surprise Package. The Sabrina set did come with a slipcase which was similar to the packaging for The Archie Show and Archie's Funhouse, with a similar design. But while those sets had clear cel-like slip covers, the Sabrina one was regular cardboard, but with glitter added over the Sabrina name. Something I have been wondering: I have done the math and I suspect there may be an episode missing -- in this case, "missing" does not just mean "left off the set," it probably means "masters junked years ago," just like a lot of material from The Archie Comedy Hour (most of the songs and some of the other cartoons) is presumed lost. The reason I say that is, the Sabrina episodes first played as half of a one-hour show (the first season as part of The Archie Comedy Hour and the second as part of Sabrina And The Groovie Goolies). There are 31 half-hours on the set, the last 16 of which prominently feature the Groovie Goolies (they could be considered the "Groovie Goolies Lost Episodes"). The first 15 do not feature the Goolies, or at least not as much. 15 seems an odd number of shows to do for a season on Saturday morning in that era. If Archie And His New Pals (which first ran as a prime time special and ended up as an extra on the Archie's Funhouse set) was considered part of that season, it would make 16 and it would seem to work out. But I wonder if there are even any extant records which could confirm any of this.