What's new

Film/Video Settings on TV and DVD??? Do they conflict? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I know that these have to do with the differeing frame rates of videotape vs. film. What I'm not sure about is how they should be set on each device to work properly together.
:confused:
If I set the DVD to 'film', what should the TV be set to? I'm thinking if they are both set to the same thing, there could be a conflict resulting in poorer picture quality. I tend to notice issues during camera pans with my 57" set that I did not see with my 32". But this might be due to my 8' sitting distance. Perhaps I am just too close.
So, what is the definitive film/video setting? If there is one of course. Thanks
TV is Tosh 57HX81
DVD is Sony 700P

DenR

Auditioning
If your Sony DVD is outputting 480p to the Tosh, set the Sony to Film mode or Auto mode. It shouldn't matter how the Tosh is set since it won't be deinterlacing the 480p input.

If your Sony is outputting 480i, the setting on the Sony has no effect. Set the Tosh to Film mode or Auto mode.

If the Tosh has been optimally (ideally, professionally) calibrated for both inputs and/or scan rates, you should compare the relative picture quality of the two setups.

Matt Lane

Agent
DenR...I have a similar situation where my Mits HDTV has the Film/Video modes and the Tosh 4700 has the ability to do so as well. I take it what you are saying here is that if you are using the Progressive Scan of the DVD player then it won't matter how the TV is set because it won't be interlaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks