Film screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Clay McCall, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Clay McCall

Clay McCall Auditioning

What is the best film screen to use with a DLP projector.
    I was think of Stewart firehawk or greyhawk? I am thinking of buying a sharp xv-120000 dlp projector.[​IMG]

2. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dude,

I have the Stewart Firehawk material for my Plus Piano HE-3200 DLP projector. The screen is 90 inches widescreen format I needed a high gain screen because the projector has low light output (400 lumens officially). This has been my experience; The picture is definately brighter than my previous "homegrown" screen. It has a nice "pop" in brightness and the contrast improved a fair amount. The general consensus is if your projector is high light output and already projects good blacks then the greyhawk is the best choice. However, I can't see how you would go wrong with the firehawk. Regardless of your screen choice, I recommend purchasing the material only and making your own frame. That saved me $800 !!!

Good luck dude,

Chester II

3. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Chester...where did you get your screen material? What was the costs?

4. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sharp 10000U and am using a Draper fixed screen. It's a low gain screen (like .85 or .90 I think???). I like it for the price (dirt cheap), but don't really have anything to compare to. I would say that Stewart is the industry standard that everyone seems to compare themselves to. That should tell you something...they're really good.

The big very noticeable difference between the Draper and the Stewart Greyhawk (or all stewarts for that matter) is that the Stewarts build quality is top notch. Among other things, the borders are very nicely put together and VERY black. Being that black around the screen helps the image "pop". The frames and attachment methods are proven to keep the screen tight and flat.

My draper has exposed snaps on a black vinyl border. It works just fine, but it is close to wrinkling the image part of the screen (close, but it is not).

Hope this helps a little.

5. Chester II

Greg dude,

I purchased my firehawk from a local home theater/hi-fi store in Berkeley, California. The screen was around $750 (can't remember exactly) for a 90" widescreen (16:9). I'm sure you can find similar or better prices much nearer to you. Stewart screens are very expensive and I just chose to accept it. Obviously I would love to go into a large darkened room and see the same movie/stills projected onto several of the well-known manufactures screens such as Draper and Da-lite but...oh, well......
    David Don is correct about the build quality of the Stewarts. First rate from the in-store frames I saw. My frame is O.K. for now and only cost me $20 in materials so I'm pretty happy with it. Just keep the frame flat-black and you're in business.

Dude,

Chester II

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

So you paid $750 JUST for the materials? If it came with a frame it would be $1600?

7. Clay McCall

Clay McCall Auditioning

DavidDon
    How do you like your sharp 10000? I am wondering if I will like a sharp 12000?

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The firehawk is a better match for the 12000 than the grayhawk. I have seen a 12000 displayed on a firehawk using hdef signals and the result was breathtaking. I was in the market for a firehawk myself but decided to build my own screen in the end. The colour of the firehawk material is unique though and hard to properly simulate. I tried various combinations of paints and such until I found the current stuff I am using. See my link for any further info

9. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

Clay,

I like the 10000 very much. I do not know what the difference is in the 12000. I have never heard a bad comment on either projector.

Neil,

Have you compared the two screens side to side or back-to-back, or whatever. I am sure the higher gain screen will have a brighter more "popping" image, but as I understand it, the grey screens help the black level detail and color shading...like skin tones. I kinda thought the grey screens were designed more or less for the DLP projectors.

Comments from anyone on their experiences with high and low gain screens would be helpful.

10. Chester II

Cabreau dude,

Yup...any Stewart screen and frame system is EXPENSIVE which is why I compromised by making my own frame.

Dude,

Chester II

11. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Expensive is all relative :)

You should also consider Da-lite screens which are 30% less than Stewart.

Regards

Gregg