Film Schools in Toronto

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alek Hidell, May 16, 2004.

1. Alek Hidell

Alek Hidell Auditioning

Hey guys, I'm new to HTF, and you guys seem to be pretty knowlegable about film and DVD so I'd thought I'd get some opinions.

I'm a clerk at Blacks Photography and I've recently been getting the urge to follow my dreams (cheezy i know!) and go to film school. I want to know if this is a good move- will it really lead to work in the film industry? I was thinking about applying to Ryerson University. I went to see some screenings of their graduate class a couple years back at the Bloor cinema and was really impressed with the quality of films (for amatuers anyway)

Does anyone know anything about the program at Ryerson or others like York? Thanks for your help.

2. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

It really depends on how dedicated to film you are. There aren't many film schools in Toronto that offer film programs and most just offer some techincal courses or just film theory. If your looking into production courses than there are a few exceptions like you mentioned Ryerson and York. They offer a both film theory and production courses and even a combination of both. I think the a combination of both the film history and production courses is what more schools should offer as it expands your mind to many different types of cinema you never thought about watching and inspire your own ideas in your own future projects as well as just for the love of film.

I would avoid the vocational schools like the Toronto Film School at the CBC Building, International Academy Of Design, as most of these schools really just want your money so that's why they advertise so much. They also are more focused on television too as canada has more of a television industry than a film industry. I should also mention that you don't really need to go to film school to become a filmmaker. It should be noted that many famous filmmmakers never went to film school. That is why it all depends on how dedidcated to film you are. If you really love film than maybe you should go to film school. It should also be noted that all you really need to become a filmmaker is to have a good idea, a script, a camera, and a crew (possibly some people who are also into the art of filmmaking just like yourself and will devote all their time to you.) who can help you get the movie made and money of course to finace the film. Than all you have to do is get your films entered into film festivals and raise to stardom over time.

3. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I myself am also looking into film school. I actualy will be going to the U.S. for film school. Im looking into different schools such as USC which is sopposed to have one of the best programs as many famous directors have gone there including Steven Speilberg, George Lucas, and Robert Zemeckis. Im also looking at Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, NYU, and UCLA's film program which also offer some pretty impressive programs.

-Mike

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron