What's new

Film School in a Box DVDs (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Every epic hand-to-hand combat scene owes a nod to Eisensteins's 'Alexander Nevsky' (filmed as propaganda/entertainment/allegory during WWII) (even Terry Gilliam made a quick note of it in his Criterion commentary for MP & The Holy Grail).

Prokofiev's score is also amazing, in spite of the dated low-tech recording techniques.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Three Colours Trilogy
- excellent commentary by Annette Insdorf on all 3 films

Magnolia
- The Magnolia Diary is very interesting and informative

Vic Cordova

Agent
just go out and film... you can listen to these commentaries all day long (i know, i have) but they don't give you the true insight you get from hands on experience... this is coming from a guy who recently directed his own 23 minute short on a nonexistent budget, then edited it on a mac, so trust me, JUST DO IT!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've made several short films (and will someday get around to making a feature), and the best advice I can give is: Just get the hell out there and do it. Figure it out as you go. You'll learn way more that way. Be your own voice, not a patchwork amalgam of your teachers and favorite directors.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Funny how everyone just names their favorite films rather than going back to basics.

I highly reccommend Kino's DW Griffith box set, not only because the films have technical value, but they also show how a good story is woven. Griffith taught generations how to make good filmmaking, and the same is true today.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
One of the most important films here is Lost in La Mancha. This not only shows Terry Gilliam's failures on the actual set, but has a number of great interviews and presentations as extras and has the added benefit of being a low budget documentary ABOUT filmmaking. These were the same documentarians (Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe) that documented 12 Monkeys and their first film, The Hamster Factor and Other Tales of Twelve Monkeys, included on the 12 Monkeys special edition is another great look at the making of a great film.

I have always liked Ron Howard's commentary on Apollo 13 and think that would be helpful as well.

And, in related talk, The Shield TV box set has commentaries for each episode. The creative team strives to include people representing different aspects of the shows creation and production and is definately worth a listen as a little TV show primer.

Blu

Screenwriter
With just two weekends left in principle and pickup photography, I concur with the people who recommend to pick up the camera and just get out there.

I am a member of a group who is (nearly completed photography and started the editing process) filming their first indie feature film.

Yes commentaries have helped in some instances but they are no replacement for experience. You will learn SO MUCH more by doing and finding your own style.

If you have a group of friends who want to help that is all the better, we used flyers to get actors. There is no commentary that will tell you that or how to make something happen with no money. Nothing that teaches how to improvise shots in your specific situation.
I do say that documentaries and commentaries ARE helpful but just not experience which is so much more helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks