What's new

Film Releases by Year (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Hi everyone. I'm trying to make lists of films that I've seen by year along with a list of all films in alphabetical order. I use www.filmreleases.com a lot, but they only go as far back as 1996. Could anyone suggest any websites that would list semi-complete releases by the year that would go fairly far back? Like 30's and 40's all the way to today or at least '96? :)

I've used www.IMDB.com but their listings also include television epsisodes, etc, basically a lot of things thrown together. Any help would be appreciated!

Ryan

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

Give this a try:

Go to IMDB Power Search.

In section 2, enter a year.

In section 3, select the following: "exclude TV movies", "exclude videos", "exclude TV series", and "exclude TV episodes".

Click the "SEARCH" button at the bottom of the form.

The problem is, the results still include many extraneous items: every short, foreign, or indie film that you've never heard of. A search on 2005 films yields over 10,000 results.

Go "back" with your browser to the Power Search page again. At the bottom of section 3, enter "100" in the "Minimum number of voters" field, then click "SEARCH" again. This will filter out the obscure material and leave only the popular films. The 2005 list, filtered in this manner, is reduced to 631 entries (much more manageable than 10,000+). As you go further back into film history, you may want to reduce the minimum number of votes (newer films have much more activity on the imdb than older ones).

Let me know if this works for you.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Sorry about the lateness of the response, I was looking at my profile and older posts, and realized just now that I got a response. :) I tried this and it worked fairly well for me. I appreicate your effort and time! These things are time consuming and it's worth it. Thanks again!

I may actually spend some extra time going through production companies, maybe that will make things a little easier. heh.

-

It would be nice if I could find a calendar-esque list of film releases, kind of like they have for current releases however for the last century, but the furthest I have found is ones that go back to 1996 for what I need.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks