What's new

Film Noir Triple Features (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've searched everywhere for reviews on the following discs from Goodtimes:

Can anyone attest to a/v quality and overall production? Are these worth a purchase or should I stick with the Image discs and how are the transfers in comparisson?

Thanks!

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was about to start a thread on this myself. Deep Discount has these for $6.35 US each. Not bad for three films. Most of the titles are available from Alpha, and knowing the tendency for public domain dealers to freely use the same prints - good or bad - I'm hoping I can find reviews of the Alpha titles to at least get me started. I have DOA in a British R2 cheapie three pack I got last year and the print is remarkably good. Set also includes the absolute classic DETOUR and one other film I can't remember at the moment.

I think I'm gonna spring for these new sets, anyways, but hopefully someone can post some thoughts about the quality soon. Then again, I have a sneaking suspicion that Brentwood will probably end up putting out a 10-pack film noir set one of these days at an even better price.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"He Walked by Night" is available separately from M-G-M. I own the DVD & the quality is sure to be better than the Goodtimes transfer.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Don't bet on it.

One likes to hope the studios put out better versions, but check out the print for CARNIVAL OF SOULS in one of the Brentwood 10 packs. It's the exact same print they used for the Criterion edition. Other recent sets have prints of old sci-fi and horror movies that are identical to those in from Roan, Wade Williams/Image and possibly VCI. I'm not saying Goodtimes won't have a crappier print for HE WALKED BY NIGHT, but the whole public domain issue seems to be such a gray zone, and the films themselves of interest mainly to collectors, that they could easily scoop the best prints with the knowledge that no one's gonna bother with a lawsuit.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Marco... I have all six of the titles, but individually, not the Goodtimes sets. For the price, you really can't go wrong. Even the Alpha titles are $5 bucks a pop. If you like the titles then go back and order KCC, DOA & HH individually from Image and Kino, all of which are pretty decent releases. TLFT is coming soon (end of May) as an Image title which will undoubtedly best the current Alpha release and I don't believe a better FITN version exists (other than Alpha and this one). Jeff is right though, I upgraded my Alpha version of HWBN with the MGM version and the difference is staggering.

Herb.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Image has apparently done some excellent transfers of many of these titles, some with extra features as well, so I'd like to hear a comparisson on the quality as having them packaged together on a triple feature disc is obviously much more convenient and imo looks a lot better too.

I don't mind double dipping on one or two titles in the triple feature package if significantly better looking discs are available, and as it stands some of these titles such as The Hitchhiker I believe seem to be exclusive, but I'd really like to know which to ultimately go for... Image or Goodtimes?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i bought the Roan version of Hitch-hiker which DVD Beaver claimed looked the best and was very disappointed in it.
granted it was only around $8 at the time, but the disc was crawling with compression releated artifact and had a dull, low contrast picture.
if i didn't already have DOA on a single disc from Image (which looks great by the way and is well recommended for fans of that film), then i might consider the three pack there.

BTW, although i mentioned this in another thread a while back, Alphas disc of Impact is pretty high quality for one of these kinds of outfits.
very satisfied with it for the price.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
But nobody knows how these transfers compare though?

Normally I'd go with the Image discs, but if the video is just ported from those releases Id much rather grab these 2 sets...

WillardK

Second Unit
There's a Questar set coming out soon as well:
"This multi-pack contains five film noir classics: D.O.A. (1950), DETOUR (1945), THE STRANGER (1946), SCARLET STREET (1945), and KILLER BAIT (1949)" plus a sixth disc with a couple of featurettes.

Any comments on the Questar label?

That Warner set announced looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks