What's new

Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Acoording to alapage, all these titles from France include English mono audio and French subtitles. Extras are limited to a photo gallery and filmographies. Discs are region 2, PAL. But like eifert said, I won't be surprised if it's old beat-up print we've seen before. I would wait for reviews before ordering any of them. Scarlet Street was a Universal title, so I would be surprised if Paramount has good elements to work with.

Speaking of Universal, Double Indemnity is being released in U.K. in March (according to British Amazon) or April (according to German Amazon)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Thanks Rich... and I've made all the updates. I'd take a guess and say that Lady in the Lake (1947) is one that will be included in the WB Volume #2.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What else are we likely to see on Volume 2, folks?

Angel Face (1952)
Armored Car Robbery (1950)
The Big Steal (1949)
Born to Kill (1947)
Crossfire (1947)
His Kind of Woman (1951)
The Narrow Margin (1952)
On Dangerous Ground (1952)
They Live by Night (1949)
They Won't Believe Me (1947)
The Window (1949)
The Breaking Point (1950)
Caged (1950)
City for Conquest (1940)
Deception (1946)
The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
The Unsuspected (1947)
Act of Violence (1948)
High Wall (1947)
Side Street (1950)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Good God, I hope ON DANGEROUS GROUND is in that set. After multiple viewings of the TCM broadcast on my DVR, it's become one of my absolute favorite noirs not yet released on DVD. Plus it's got that brilliant Bernard Herrmann score, and a stunning performance by Ida Lupino. Make me smile, Warner! :D

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Here’s my prediction for V2 – not necessarily my first picks, but titles I think you’ll see for varying reasons.
[*]First off, there’s no way in the world they could release a set without one or two appearances from RKO’s biggest star and most recognized noir staple, Robert Mitchum. So, I’ll add:

Crossfire (1947)
Angel Face (1952)
His Kind of Woman (1951)
The Racket (1951)

[*]Another RKO staple that’s a must is Robert Ryan. Enter:

[*]Speaking of Nicholas Ray who has been ignored long enough here, add:

They Live by Night (1949)

[*]A film noir set wouldn’t be much without a caper film, so include:

Armored Car Robbery (1950)

[*]A good prison flick would round out the sub-genre thing nicely, add the celebrated:

Caged (1950)

[*]And, in my opinion the best WB film noir not available here is:

The Narrow Margin (1952)

[*]There’s been much talk about more Davis, Crawford, Cagney, Robinson and Bogart, so likely inclusions might be:

City for Conquest (1940), Deception (1946), The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947), Conflict (1945), Flamingo Road (1949), Possessed (1947), A Stolen Life (1946), The Woman in the Window (1945).
[*]If MGM is to be represented, consideration might be given to:

Act of Violence (1948)
Fury (1936)

[*] Another variation of Philip Marlowe's character seems logical, so include:

Lady in the Lake (1947)

[*]And as a last ditch effort in a poor and pathetic attempt to cover my bases, I’ll add the following two for good measure:

The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
Johnny Eager (1942)

Regardless of the choices, looking forward to the V2 announcement WB.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like maybe they should just go ahead and announce V.2-5 right now. Reading that list of noirs has me practically salivating.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Another R2 announcement. 20th Century Fox title I Wake Up Screaming (1941) ...aka Hot Spot, will be released in France on February 24th. Thanks to Gary from the DVDBeaver.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
I posted announcement for I Wake Up Screaming above, but I guess it slipped through.

The Fallen Sparrow will be released in Italy on March 8 as Il passo del carnefice, but unfortunately cover is still not available.
The Follen Sparrow

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Gregory... that's my fault. Obviously, I missed your post from January 21st - my apologies. I appreciate your updates...!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Suevia Films is releasing a few classic fims on March 9 in Spain.

Human Desire, which is now only available as part of Japanese Columbia Noir boxset is one of them.

Other non-noir titles exclusive to Spain will include Arch of Triumph, Magic Town, The Other Love, and Magnificent Doll.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Great news Gregory, thanks. I changed the list to reflect Spain instead of Japan for Human Desire since that set was outrageously expensive - although I wonder how the transfers compare...

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Say, has anyone here seen this recently-released double-feature combo of Edward G. Robinson noir flicks from Critics' Choice video? Here's a link to DVD Planet's page with the DVD's cover art and specs:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...284&format=DVD

Both movies in the set, THE RED HOUSE and SCARLET STREET, are public domain staples available from numerous "bargain bin" companies, so I don't expect pristine prints of the films, but I wonder if this release is any worse (or possibly better) than what's already out there, either in print condition or encoding.

What interests me most about this particular release is that it offers these two films, without bunching them together with other public domain noir staples I already have on DVD in decent form, like D.O.A., QUICKSAND, DETOUR, THE HITCH-HIKER and HE WALKED BY NIGHT.

And if there are better releases of either THE RED HOUSE or SCARLET STREET out there, by all means, point me in the right direction. :)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this is old news, but House of Bamboo, which was supposed to have come out in two weeks, has been pushed back to June 7.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've been promising this for awhile now but Gary (from the DVD Beaver) and I have finally started posting some screenshots of various R2 noirs for anyone who might be interested. Here is the first group:

Angel Face (1952)

The Narrow Margin (1952)

The Big Steal (1949)
What are the chances of these films coming to R1 market anytime soon?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances of these films coming to R1 market anytime soon?
Quite good, I would say. Warner owns all of those RKO films and a "Film Noir Collection: Volume 2" is expected this year, as the first set was a big seller and got nothing but great reviews.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Quite good, I would say. Warner owns all of those RKO films and a "Film Noir Collection: Volume 2" is expected this year, as the first set was a big seller and got nothing but great reviews.
From the looks of it, we need to get about 5 more volumes of Warner's film noir sets a year. They have the rights to so many good noirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks