What's new

Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Manus

Second Unit
Regarding Amazon.com deliveries. Here in Ireland their boxes are easily targetted because of their logo. All 3 of my Xmas packages attracted Customs and 'Postal Handling Charges' (?) of >25 euros ( > $32) so I'll be sticking with dvdpacific.com too. Great customer service.

~M~

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm betting none. Given the legendary status of the lost original cut, I think we'd have heard if a complete print had been located (Christ, talk about newsworthy!). I'm thinking the statement refers to a good print of the cut version, as well as supplements. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong about this, of course. :D

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
The Man Between (Carol Reed - 1953) was released in Germany in November, 2006:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000...262789-2787427

Born To Be Bad (Nicholas Ray - 1950) will be released in Spain on March 21st.

Caged (John Cromwell - 1950) will be released as part of WB Cult Camp Classics Volume 2 Women in Peril on June 26th in a strange company of The Big Cube and Trog. It will also be sold individually. Cover art is already available at www.dvdempire.com.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I'm glad the film is getting a nice release but I really don't see it as noir any more than THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS is a noir.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Since there is no strict definition of 'film noir', it's really a matter of a personal opinion. What matters is that it's a fantastic movie and, hopefully, Criterion will give it its proper treatment.

This is one of the longest film noir lists I have ever come across:

http://www.gaskcadd.com/ssk_pix/FILMNOIR2006.pdf

ted:r

Second Unit
I'm afraid I wouldn't go that far, Irina. By saying that, one could call "Bambi" a film noir, if one wants to.

Admittedly, defining what is and what is not a film noir is a very slippery proposition since no one basically decided to make a noir like they decided to make a western or a period piece. And yes, different people define noir in different ways, some more inclusive than others. But still, one should have a defined rationale for picking the films they think are noir. Its rather more than personal opinion, which is more of a taste.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I was going to suggest that we here try to develop a criteria. Something along the lines of...

To be calssified a Film Noir it must have 6 of the following 10 (I'm making these numbers up):

1) Anti-hero protagonist

2) Shot in black and white (not exclusive) with murky, shadowy grays.

3) Ex-convict or recent ex-convict characters.

4) Flash-back (remembered) narratives.

5) Occasional obtuse camera angles.

6) Plot derived from the hard-boiled pulp fiction novels.

7) American crime drama or an attempted representation of such.

8) One or more Femme fatales - “an irresistibly attractive women... especially ones that lead men into danger or disaster”.

9) Plot devices of amnesia, shared guilt, pathos, or classic nemesis.

10) Enviornment of the downtrodden, lower classes, or economically depressed.

This is just a sample which I'm sure can be greatly improved upon. I'd love to hear suggestions for other attributes and the numbering system. We could value each with points and to be a Noir it must obtain X points... again just thinking out loud.

NOTE: I am sure there are some very astute film fans that can name some non-noir films that have 6 of the 10 above. That is not what my post is about - it is not a contest.

Anyone have any ideas? We could at least develop a rough guideline this way.

BTW, I just rewatched Ulmer's Detour last night. Might be my favorite Film Noir.

Best,
Gary

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard rumors about possible DVD releases of these 2 films?

INVISIBLE STRIPES (1939) George Raft / Humphrey Bogart / Jane Bryan
I WALK ALONE (1948) Burt Lancaster / Lisabeth Scott / Kirk Douglas

I've wanted these 2 for a long time but so far, no releases.

ted:r

Second Unit
Since WB has "Invisible Stripes" and it is Bogart, I'd imagine it's release will come within the next 2-3 years. (Yeah, I know, it seems like an eternity!)

As for "I Walk Alone", well, I believe its owned by Universal, who did release a bunch of noirs several years ago but hasn't made a peep since. I too long for for "IWA", having a fond memory of it. I do like BL noirs.

I hate (really hate) to say this, but perhaps once one of its stars passes, it will come to be. (Not that I wish it in the slightest. I'd rather he be honored while he is still extant.)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Sorry if this has been asked before, but...

Has Universal abandoned it's "Universal Noir Collection"?

We got CRISS-CROSS, THIS GUN FOR HIRE, THE BIG CLOCK, and BLACK ANGEL then......nada.

:frowning:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Good question. But as for Universal. it's anyone's guess what goes on behind the silent vaults of that studio. From a TV/DVD collector's experience, they are one of the more secretive studios but they sure have a lot of what we want :) Thanks for the reminder of those Uni noirs. I know them all but don't have them on DVD (yet). I need to spend more time on the HTF Film Bd as well as the TV/DVD Bd :)

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
From The Digital Bits' Rumor Mill, MGM will remember Edward G. Robinson in July with following titles: Kansas City Confidential (1952), The Stranger (1946), The Woman in the Window (1944), A Bullet for Joey (1950). The first 2 are available in poor PD editions, so hopefully MGM will rescue them (they already released The Stranger in other regions).

Also, Fox will release Seven Thieves the same day.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Oops, he sure isn't, but he's in other 3. And also in Seven Thieves which is being released as part of Joan Collins Superstar Collection by Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks