Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'd like for two of the three new Fox noirs (if indeed there are to be three
more) to be "Road House" (Widmark, Lupino) and "Slattery's Hurricane"
(Widmark, directed by De Toth).

Pete York

Supporting Actor
I believe it was also mentioned in the Noir City Sentinel that CRY OF THE CITY is supposed to be coming from Criterion later this year.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
A Cry of the City Criterion would make sense seeing as how they released Siodmak's The Killers, hope it pans out.

The Fox rumor is good news, my vote for the 3 titles would be Road House, The Lodger & Hangover Square.

On a side note it still amazes me that given the boom in popularity of classic noirs that most of the studios aren't taking advantage of releasing these.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see a Criterion Cry of the City - it is a favorite Noir. Irina is correct, there are French and Spanish editions, which we have compared HERE

I'd love to add a Criterion to that webpage.

Best,

Charles H

Screenwriter
It sounded like the restoration work and commentary for VIOLENT SATURDAY has been completed, and ROAD HOUSE was once officially released as coming via Anchor Bay. I too would love to see THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, Otto Preminger's remake of Clouzot's LE CORBEAU, with sensational performances by Charles Boyer and Linda Darnell in uncharacteristic roles. Also William Wellman's Cold War noir semi-documentary with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney. Both are rarely shown on tv.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
In my list remais noirs enough to make 4 more waves in the collection:

Road House
Iron Curtain
The 13th Letter
Hangover Square
The Lodger
Swamp Water
Slattery's Hurricane
Cry of the City
5 Fingers
Man Hunt
Moontide
Dragonwyck (if that one can be considered a noir)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Not sure if this was posted before but 17 previously released Fox film noirs can be bought together on Amazon for $134.99 (pre-order for March 1 release).

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Thanks for the information! This is very interesting. I live in the USA and buy DVDs from all over the world. I don't recall ever paying for customs duties on the DVDs. The shipping costs vary by retailor but amazon (UK, France, Germany) is pretty reasonable. Besides, amazon also deducts about 17% VAT for orders outside of EU.

Pasquale_R

Auditioning
Unfortunately, some EU countries, like France, apply custom duties for DVD parcels with a value of more than 40 USD (more or less). And it ALWAYS happens with Amazon parcels. With DVDpacific you have a chance to get through...

Multi-Region

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Indeed!
However, I NEVER had any troubles with DVDPacific parcels so far. (No additional tax, customs duties, and no damages. Their service/helpdesk, fast shipping and packages are outstanding. Almost all my R-1 Film-Noir DVD's are bought at DVDPacific.)

Anther interesting on-line shop is http://www.play.com at the Isle of Jersey, U.K. However, their packages are rather fragile. In about 4 out of 10 orders, the DVD-cases have been damaged during shipping. But, replacement of these cases are cheap (5 for $ 1.00), so, still an attractive address to buy.

You may find The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key DVD's at rather low prices at www.play.com by the way).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Fortunately, this is more than just a rumor. Warners said in the recent chat that both were on the schedule for 2008. They indicated that they've finally got good material on AMBERSONS. What wasn't clear is to what extent, if any, this footage contains previously cut material.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks