Film Noir fans rejoice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter M Fitzgerald, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Mar 21, 1999
    Peter Fitzgerald
    DVD File reported today that director Fritz Lang's (METROPOLIS, M, 1000 EYES OF DR. MABUSE, etc) supreme film noir classic, THE BIG HEAT (1953), starring Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame & Lee Marvin, is coming to Region 1 DVD on December 19!
    It looks like it's going to be fairly 'bare-bones', which is a pity, since Glenn Ford is still around and could probably do an interesting commentary track, but is still an essential purchase that I'm already making space for on my DVD shelf. Definitely another Hollywood classic that Ron Epstein (and the rest of the uninitiated HTF membership, for that matter) should check out, if he's never seen it before; I'm sure Crawdaddy will back me up on this.
    Thanks much, Columbia Tristar! Say, how about giving us a DVD of Lang's follow-up, HUMAN DESIRE (1954), also starring Glenn Ford & Gloria Grahame, next?
    In celebration, piping hot coffee for everyone! [​IMG]
  2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    Great news! I love The Big Heat - Lee Marvin makes for one mean villain!
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
  3. Paul J Anderson

Jan 11, 2001
    oh man, now that is some good news! let us hope Lang's Ministry of Fear isn't too far behind as well. not sure who owns the rights to that one. Universal did the VHS.
    My Humble DVD Collection
  4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Dec 28, 1998
    Yep, Pete is right on the money about this film ( again. [​IMG] ) The film has a great opening shot that really pulls you into the story, solid performances from Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and a young bad-ass Lee Marvin. The Big Heat is a terrific crime film that is really put together well. ( I'll take my coffee black and hot, please. [​IMG] )
    I have this title on laserdisc, but was still very happy to see the announcement for two reasons. a) Folks who missed this title on LD, or never owned LD players are finally getting a chance to see this fine film and b) hopefully Columbia will be adding more classic films to their release schedule.
    Continuing in the crime / noir genres I'd love to see Columbia Tri-Star release such films as:
    In A Lonely Place
    The Harder They Fall
    Knock on Any Door
    In Cold Blood
    and the aforementioned re-teaming of Ford & Grahame in Human Desire
    Thanks Columbia Tri-Star, indeed!
    - Walter.
    [Edited last by Walter Kittel on September 20, 2001 at 02:03 AM]
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    I meant to post about this yesterday but got tied up with other events. Anyhow, this is great news but I want and expect more from Columbia, Warner, and Fox in releasing more film noir films to dvd. This movie is one great film noir. Lee Marvin really made in his mark in this film and Gloria Grahame was a hottie! Also, Glenn Ford did some of his best acting in this flick.
  6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

May 24, 2001
    I sent a message to Glenn Ford's family about him possibly recording an audio commentary. If he would be interested in doing that, perhaps we can convince CTHV to let him record it for the DVD.
    I await their response.
  7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Mar 31, 2000
    This is great news indeed! I've developed quite an affinity for film noir ever since I started making my way through the list of AFI 100 greatest films.
    I can't wait for Sunset Boulevard Hopefully, we won't have to wait too much longer for that one to make its way to DVD.
  8. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Jul 3, 1998
    Martin Blythe has indicated that Sunset Boulevard is a candidate for full restoration, and so it may be a while before we see it on DVD. Some of the other film-noir classics that we need to see on DVD are
    Out of the Past (Warner)
    Laura (Fox)
    In a Lonely Place (Columbia)
    The Asphalt Jungle (MGM/Warner?)
    Kiss of Death (Fox)
    Sorry, Wrong Number (Paramount)
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (MGM/Warner?)
    Dark Passage (MGM/Warner?)
    [Edited last by Deepak Shenoy on September 23, 2001 at 08:38 AM]