Film Noir Alert on TCM today!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If you want to catch a great film noir that rarely gets shown today then watch or tape "They Won't Believe Me" which airs on Turner Classic Movies today at 5:30 p.m. ET. This film noir stars Robert Young in a uncharacteristic role for this actor from "Father's Know Best" and "Marcus Welby" fame. The film also stars Susan Hayward, Jane Greer, and Rita Johnson. A really good film with a surprise.

Crawdaddy

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

My cable provider s***s. They don't carry TCM nor the History Channel. Might have to try other options here. [​IMG]
    ~Edwin

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Looks good. I got my Tivo set. Thanks, man.

5. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the recommendation.

6. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Edwin- If your cable provider doesn't carry TCM, you DEFINITELY need to look for other options. I think TCM is the best cable channel available, period. They show hundreds of movies per month, usually in OAR and original language. From your many posts, it's quite obvious that you enjoy movies both old and new. You can't do better for "old" movies than TCM.

Check out Dish Network, check out DirecTV, but you must find a way to enjoy the tremendous selection of movies offered by TCM.

Steve K.

7. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up Robert. I'll just echo what other people are saying. TCM is a must have channel for any serious film lover. It's classic movie buffs paradise. I've dicovered coutless numbers of movies on TCM I would never have seen otherwise and in OAR!

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

If TCM ever goes HD, I'll be in movie heaven. [​IMG] GREAT channel.

9. Dave Barth

Again, thanks for the recommendation. I saw "They Won't Believe Me" today. It was a very good film, though I don't think the ending worked that well. Perhaps having seen that exact scenario play out on a television show in the last month made it seem repetitive when, at the time, I'm sure it was shocking.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Dave,

What you just said is a perfect example of why when we grade a film that was made years ago, in this case 55 years ago, we need to give the film some slack if some of the film's plot or theme has been copied in later productions such as television or recent films. When judging how good a classic film is, I try to grade the film not from a comtemporary point of view but from the perspective of when the film was made. That's somewhat difficult but it is a very fair way to judge films of yesteryear.

Crawdaddy

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I watched it last night. Pretty cool.

I also watched Notorious and Rebecca for the first time recently (yes, I know, I have a lot of catching up to do). Besides making me fall desperately in love with Ingrid Bergman, I think these movies are in danger of turning me into one of those "they don't make 'em like they used to" types of people. I can become a 24 yr old Old Fart.

Pacing, dialogue, tension, ACTING. One forgets that movies can contain these things. And it's nice to be able to watch a film where the freakin' camera stays in one place for more than 30 seconds.

Rob, maybe you could have a regular feature on this forum alerting us about some movies on TCM:

TCM: The Crawdaddy's Movies

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Mike,

I will continue to post and temporarily sticky threads about classic films I think some members might be interested in seeing on TCM and if presented in their OAR on other channels as well. My next thread update will be later tonight for the 1927 film "Napoleon", showing on TCM early Monday morning at 12:30 a.m. ET and for the "Ox Bow Incident", playing on Fox Movie Channel, Thursday night at 8:00 p.m. ET.

Crawdaddy

13. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Also, how about Das Boot on March 20 at 1:30SAM on TCM uncut OAR and commersial free.

Edit: Also in march TCM are showing over 300 oscar nominated or winning film including the first ever talkie the Jazz Singer staring Al Jolson

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Ryan,

I won't mention films that are presently available with good presentations on dvd such as "Das Boot".

Crawdaddy

15. Dave Barth

For what it's worth, a similar plot device as the ending of They Won't Believe Me was used tonight on The Practice. I've now seen it three times in the last two months.

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

17. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Me, too. I can't afford to buy or even rent DVDs these days, so TCM is my movie connection. Of course, we could just go to their website and download the schedule, but where's the fun in that? [​IMG]

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer