1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Film Movement Classics Acquires Rights to Fritz Lang's Indian Epic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Darby67, May 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    https://www.screendaily.com/news/film-movement-classics-acquires-fritz-lang-indian-epic-exclusive/5136689.article

I purchased the October 16, 2001 Fantoma DVD releases of The Tiger of Eschnapur (Der Tiger von Eschnapur) and The Indian Tomb (Das indische Grabmal) on Ebay a few years back and the prices for both titles can be fairly high. I would definitely purchase new home video releases of both films from Film Movement Classics. Watching Debra Paget's snake dance in The Indian Tomb should be on everyone's bucket list!

2. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

A proper restoration would be nice...

Jack K and Darby67 like this.
  3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Just in case people are not aware, these titles have been available on Blu-ray in Germany for some time:

https://www.amazon.de/Tiger-von-Eschnapur-Blu-ray/dp/B008MFXJGM

and

https://www.amazon.de/indische-Grabmal-Blu-ray-Claus-Holm/dp/B008MFXJ2Q/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_74_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7HG7ACDZXN7RAQK70ZP1

It is to be expected that Blu-rays from Film Movement Classics would come from the same master and add English subs.
    And while the German Blu-rays do not look spectacular I expect that most people will be happy with the upgrade.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Hopefully, Film Movement Classics will include the English dub as well as English subtitles for the German language version like the Image DVD. It appears the German blu rays are in German only. Two of the actresses in the film, the American Debra Paget and the Italian Luciana Paluzzi are dubbed into German. If I recall correctly, it's Paget's voice in the English dub but Paluzzi is dubbed in both versions (although she spoke perfect English).

5. OliverK

OliverK Producer

That would be nice. I only rented these so I cannot check them anymore but I think that the German discs were indeed German only.

6. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I haven't heard any concrete details about restoration, dubs, or subtitles, but I did email them yesterday and they confirmed that both films will be released on DVD and Blu-ray in early November. If I hear anything further, I'll be sure to post it.

If anyone wants to email Film Movement directly, the email address is [email protected]

Jack K likes this.
  7. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    And without English subtitles.

8. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I have to say that I did not look for them but that would have been a very rare exception for a German Blu-ray of a German movie.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Only if the distributor is German (and no major) and is going to release a title internationally, which is indeed very rare.

Brent Reid and Darby67 like this.
  10. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Bert Greene likes this.