Film Greats: Rankin/Bass’ ‘The Year Without A Santa Claus’ (1974)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Who says that a 51-minute musical family animated film that originally aired on TV is not worthy or such praise? Bah Humbug!
    The Snow and Heat Misers, Mickey Rooney as the voice of St. Nick and Shirley Booth as Mrs. Claus have always been a holiday tradition around our household. The Miser brothers are both silly but fun and are probably the most memorable part of the entire film. And how anyone cannot get caught up with the musical numbers, I Believe In Santa Claus and Blue Christmas, I just don’t know. [​IMG] In addition, the animation on this one is particularly crisp and clear, especially on DVD.
    The Year Without A Santa Claus is my favorite of all the Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass stop-motion animations, which includes, among others, Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town.
    - - -
    Film Greats – A continuing quick look at motion pictures that, in one way or another, have been called “great films” by some. Other Films In This Series: Howard Hawks’ Rio Bravo : D. W. Griffith’s Broken Blossoms : Sidney Lumet’s 12 Angry Men : Billy Wilder’s The Lost Weekend
    ~Edwin

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

While I like Year without a Santa Claus, for me it is a distant third behind Santa Claus is Comin' to Town and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. While Year has some good music (especially the misers), the music pales for me compared to the other two. And I think it's the weakest of the three stories. But hey, after Thanksgiving up to Christmas, we watch almost nothing but xmas movies in my house, including all three of these. [​IMG]

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I also enjoy both Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town and Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer. But I found the winter warlock/scary mountain creature subplot to be nothing more than a filler so that the entire film would fit in a 1-hour time slot.

~Edwin

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm with Edwin on this, it's my fav of the 3 (maybe it's the time travel? [​IMG]).
    The Miser song alone is enough to carry it in my book.
    "I'm too much!"
    (this reminds me that while I watched Xmas Story and Xmas Vacation, THIS DVD didn't get put in yet. holy moly!)