Film Discussion: Movie You Hate, and Things You Would Change To Make You Like Them

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

If there's one general statement I feel I can safely make about the members of this forum, it's that we're extremely passionate about the films we love. And on that same token, we're strongly opinionated about the films we hate as well.

Over the years, I've done my fair share of [​IMG] and [​IMG] whenever I discuss movies amongst friends and acquaintances of mine. Regardless of what movie we may be discussing, we always have opinions concerning what a movie could do to improve itself. The case seems to be especially true about movies we hate.

I was inspired by the thread by Lew Crippen concerning folks' reactions to Do The Right Thing. I've never seen it my self, but I've always wanted to watch it for some time now. If there's one thing very evident about the discussion going on in the thread, it's that those members discussing the film all have different ideas concerning the direction the film needed to/didn't need to take.

The purpose of this thread is to discern the exact reasons why people hate certain films, and whether or not this is due to fundamental differences in tastes or due to a certain expectation that all films need to meet. And to make an extension to that, discern whether or not general/ specific changes can be made to that film that would cause it to not be hated. It's basically, "I hate film X, but if they did changes Y and Z, I would like film X".

I would like this discussion to consider a broad spectrum of films that would include blockbusters (eg. Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings films), heavily-panned films (eg. Michael Bay movies), or even film buff favorites (eg. 2001: A Space Odyssey).

When I get the time, I'll start with Godzilla (1998).

So start discussing away.

2. david stark

david stark Second Unit

the first one that springs to mind is saving private ryan. I may be slightly off the mark as i didn't hate this film, in fact I really like it, but it would have been so much better if they had just cut off the last couple of minutes (have I been a good man...) entirely.

I just felt that the point had already been made and i didn't need it it to be shoved in my face so much. At least now I own it on DVD I can just hit the stop button just before I get to this point.

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

There are many but I'll start with an easy and small one.

Ladyhawk : The only thing I would change to make me like it better than I do is to chuck the ridiculously out of place Alan Parsons score, aside from that I think it is a rather good and unusually character driven action movie.

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

A couple of fantasy films:

Dragonheart: Make the dragon a dragon and not a Sean Connery vehicle, cut the irritating endless references to an "old code".

Dungeons & Dragons: Scrap the entire film and replace with a screenplay based on any of the actual old-school game modules ("Keep of the Borderlands" anyone?); Also, scrap the blatantly plastic "metal".

First Knight: Scrap the 20th century sensibilities, plastic "metal" shoulder pads, and total bastardization of the Lancelot character.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well there are a lot of films I hate that I don't really think can be fixed. I'd mention a specific example but it would piss off Brook. [​IMG] However, one that I think could be easily fixed and turned into a great film is Blow Up

To fix this all you have to do is change the ending. Get rid of those stupid mimes, and do something creative to explain what happened with the body.

6. Dome Vongvises

Godzilla, 1998

I'm one of the those folks that don't mind it one bit if something was being remade or if something was made from an established franchise, so long as it makes an attempt to recapture the essence of the original film/franchise.

What I do mind, however, is when all those good things are ignored. And Godzilla by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich is an example.

I had really high hopes for this film. I was hoping to see a bigger budget version of the TOHO films the fans have come to know and love. It's evident there was a bigger budget, but that's about it. All the conventions that made Godzilla a cult franchise hit were thrown out the window.

Understandably, the original film dealt more with the implications of nuclear power, but even the American remake only touched on that subject rather superficially.

The remake missed an awful lot of things. First, the TOHO Godzilla was a man in a rubber suit. Now granted, it looks cheesy as hell, but that's the Godzilla fans have come to know and love. I don't exactly know what was going through the minds of the American production/creature designers, but they tried going for a more "uniqe" and "realistic" look. What they ended up with was a generic Tyranosaurus Rex that lacked many of the original TOHO Godzilla characteristics.

The TOHO Godzilla had atomic fire breath. The Sony Godzilla didn't.

Another convention of what made Godzilla popular was the monster fights he got in. They amounted to nothing more than glorified pro wrassling matches, but they were fun pleasures and showcases in imaginative creature design. But the Sony Godzilla had nothing like this whatsoever, and provided a monster versus people conflict that fell extremely flat.

And then there was the script, the worst offender of the bunch. One of the last sequences was a rip-off of man versus dinosaur a la Jurassic Park. And you also expect people to believe that a huge monster as large as a building could go missing in New York as well? [​IMG] People could see the TOHO Godzilla from miles away. The added subplot of Godzilla being a mother was laughable as well.

I really do question whether or not Devlin and Emmerich had good intentions when they decided to make this film. In their pursuit of an "American" Godzilla, they made a film that not only alienated fans, but the general movie-going public as well.

Besides the obvious solution of using a better script, I think that if the producers were to have gone for a Godzilla that was extremely closer (but not necessarily identical) to the TOHO incarnation, they woud've at least kept or won the fans' interests.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Dome,
    On Godzilla, the filmmakers failed the key point by having a half-hour subplot involving little Godzilla babies. Nobody paid to see Mini-Godzillas in a LW rip (as you accurately stated). We paid for the big one. Give us the big one.

It's sad to see a simple formula dicked up. It really is.

In my case, the first film that leapt into my mind was the original Species. Great first half. Fun, creative, sinister (and yes, nudity). But it was quite promising. Then it devolved into a wannabe Alien-type rip, down to the bad one-liners and stock search and destroy ending.

Take care,
    Chuck

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

2001 :A Space Odyssey

I would add plot and dialogue. Frankly the DVD should have been released with the book on a subtitle track. The film is only enjoyable in its current state on controlled substances.

Godzilla 1998 should be erased from existance

Misery- So close to no blaspheming, you've already got an R rating, why not go for the full foot choppin? (must have been a budget thing)

AI- needed to stop at the FIRST ending, probably could have used about 20min of interior trims as well.

LOTR: TTT- Remove the blasphemy of Faramir kidnapping Frodo. Unneccessary wholesale invention. And take the Elves out of Helm's Deep

9. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I've never read the book. Did she cut off his feet in it?

Dean

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

11. george kaplan

I don't know if this counts, cause I don't hate the film by a long shot, but I'll never buy it or watch it again as it stands is There's Something About Mary. This could easily be fixed for me:

Lose the close-up of the zipper. A guy getting caught in his zipper is funny. Seeing it graphically is disgusting and too high a price for me to pay to see the rest of this very funny movie

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

George, that's what makes it funny.

They've spent about five minutes shooting around it making you think they aren't going to show anything, then, bqamm, they do. That's comedy.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's a pity Rat Race didn't take full advantage of being a remake of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Some parts were indeed hillarious, but it got to the point where they were trying too hard.

Cast Away would have been a bit more enjoyable if the "Wilson" scenes were done in silence. It would have been a lot cooler if the entire segment of the film was pantomime...so that the first instance of dialogue afterwards would be so alerting. It's a good film, as it is, but it would have made it great.

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I would change the way they cut Pulp Fiction & Memento to be less...like..confusing and stuff...that's just...like...stupid the way the directors...like...thought they were being all artsy and avant-garde and stuff...but like...they were just making it all hard to watch and...like...follow and stuff.

That's...like...stupid.

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

16. george kaplan

Well we're just going to have to disagree about that. I laughed through almost all of this movie, but definitely not there. I did not find it funny at all, and as I said, it has kept me from buying the dvd or seeing the movie a second time.

17. Todd Terwilliger

George,

No skip-scene or fast-forwarding for you? The movie's too funny to let one easily bypassable scene hold it back.

18. Dome Vongvises

Poor georgekaplan.

I can't say I personally know the guy, but I can understand what he's saying about the scene in question.

19. Todd Terwilliger

Dome,

I also know exactly what he's talking about concerning that scene but it is a small matter just to skip or zip by it...

20. Dome Vongvises

Todd,

I was talking about george's taste in movies and whatnot. I can see why he has a problem with that scene in question. I wasn't questioning your solution to the matter. [​IMG]