What's new

Filling speaker stands with sand or lead shot? (1 Viewer)

John_Yanotka

Agent
I just ordered some Sanus speaker stands for my new Paradigm Monitors. Can anyone tell me why people fill their stands with sand or lead shot? Is it just for stability reasons? Where do you purchase lead shot to fill the stands with? Thanks for your help?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
mass resists motion. motion creates sound. unwanted or unintended motion creates unwanted or unintended sound. unwanted or unintended sound is often percieved as distotion or some other form or audible distraction.

by adding sand or shot to speaker stands, you add mass, reducing movement, reducing distortion or other audible vibrations.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, if there is some kind of hunting store around, you should be able to get lead shot in bulk. Or, just go to the local home center and get some playground sand super cheap. If you go the sand route, I recommend setting it out on a tarp in the sun for a day to dry it out. Stir it a bit, and don't let it sit out over night, or it will absorb moisture again.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Ah, sounds like Mr. Rice has been there before! A long, low bake in the oven will also do it. Plus you don't have to worry about the neighborhood cats thinking you've opened a new bathroom for them!

Good advice. I'd go the sand route too. Cheap and does the trick.

Michael_V

Second Unit
I didn't want the mess of sand, the risk of lead, or the psychological issue of putting kitty litter in my HT (!), so I bought 6 cartons of Daisy BBs (steel shot) with 4000 BBs per carton for $4.97 each at Wal-mart. Total cost: about $30. It took exactly 3 to fill each stand (24 inches each). Clean, easy, nontoxic, and a lot heavier than you would think!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks