What's new

Filling factor LCD projector displays (1 Viewer)

Arno P

Grip
Does anyone know where I can find information on the filling factor of the LCDs that are used in recent projectors such as the panny 300.

It would be nice if this value (pixel area versus pixelgap area) would be standard in the specs. This would give a fisrt indication on the visibility of screen-door would be for a certain projector. E.g. if only 40% of the area is active pixel and 60% is gap....a lot of screendoor effect...and 80% pixel with 20% gap....hardly any screendoor....

Maybe it can be straightforwardly related to the used technology (LTPS/TFT...)or display dimensions of the display used in a projector...

Does anyone have an idea on this or even has additional info?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, I can't say that I have knowledge of such specs across the board (range of LCD pj's) but all I know is that many LCD's these days are in the neighbourhood of 80-86% with those having MLA (micro lens array) being higher than that.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
LCDs are at 80-85%? *faint* To quote Neo: "I don't believe it". :)

Will a cheapo LCD projector like the Sanyo Z1 (using the Epson LCD panels) have 80% or more fill factor?

I always thought that DLP was at 85%, and I can't see screendoor on an XGA DLP until I'm at 1.0x screen width viewing distance.

Yet, I can easily see screendoor on a Panasonic AE100 (800x600 I think) at 2.0x distance. :confused:

Arno P

Grip
Would be good somewhere around 80%. What I heard up till now is a filling factor between 40%...60%....

Arno P

Grip
Actually it's funny that a factor that is that important for the screendoor effect is never mentioned..nor known...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This is the sort of thing that a "spec" can't really tell you. Some LCD projectors that spec with a larger fill-factor (usually in a percentage of sorts) show less screen-door bcs of a MLA lens or some other attribute that changes the equation.

When it comes to screen-door on ANY digital projector...LCD or DLP...you need to see the projector in action and judge for yourself.

Go over to www.avscience.com and poke around in the digital projectors sub-$5000 forum if you're curoius about cheap digital projectors that produce a watchable image that's bang-for-the-buck...

dave :)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The MLA equipped LCD's do have much better fill factors than the non. Non-MLA are as low as 40-60%.

MLA equipped LCD's are supposed to have a fill factor as high as 80-85%.

DLP's have fill factors going upwards of 88% or so.

LCOS/D-ILA projectors have fill factors >93%.

CRT's, 100%. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
CRT's, 100%
Just to be fair... :D

That's only when a CRT is scanning at it's "golden rate". Any rate less than that will produce gaps between scan-lines (the visibility depends on how much below this "golden rate" the scanning happens to be) and any rate higher will produce over-lapping lines. Naturally, any die-hard videophile with a CRT projector should be driving it with a scaler/HTPC to acheive a scan-rate close to this "golden rate" as possible... :)

True, CRT's don't have pixels with cell-structure, but the spacing between scan-lines could be considered a "fill factor" of sorts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks