file recovery.....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Is there any way to recover data from a drive after the partition has been deleted? I have a drive that is damaged, but I'd like to be able to pull some files off of it.

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

There's supposed to be a way. I think you're looking for Disk Doctor or something like that.

Have you already tried a web search?

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If the drive has actual physical damage, and you can't read from it, then the odds are much lower. If it's just that the partition was deleted, then that has a good chance of being recoverable, but you have to do it the right way, otherwise you can make it a lot more work.

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I was looking for a data recovery tool a couple of weeks ago, and after much hunting found this freeware tool:
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

It's really good, I found files on a partition after I re-installed W2K on it! Good luck!

-Christian

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I believe the drive is damaged in some way. So I may be out of luck.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

a great app for this is called: Get Data Back [​IMG]

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

There are services like Ontrack to recover data from physically damaged drives. I've never used them, but I imagine they could be expensive....

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Give BadCopy Pro a try, it's the best 39.95 I ever paid. It recovered my Zip Disk that had suffered the "Click of Death". That's when the drive kills the sectors or worse.

It recovered near everything and suffered only 0.1% data loss. Pretty good considering I thought it was lost forever.

If you need some links for professional send out service let me now. Prices range from $100 - $500 or more.

The nice thing is that Bad Copy Pro will do everything but recover in the trial version so you can see if it's worth the money or not.

BadCopy Pro

Another program that I have heard good things about but hasn't been updated in years is SpinRite from Steve Gibson Gibson Research

It did nothing for my zip disk. Both offer money back guarantees

9. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Oops scratch that...BadCopy is great for everything but hard disks...:b It will recover dead files on a hard drive but your situation is a little different. Give SpinRite a try...it's $100 to do it yourself with a money-back and you have the program if you ever need it again.

The cheapest data recovery center I found was $95 for recovery and $5 to place the recovered files on DVD.

And that was ZipDisk pricing. For a hard drive you would pay $65 for evaluation and then about $100/hr for service.

10. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Then give SpinRite a shot...it only works in DOS and works up to a certain size limit of hard drive...you'll need to read the FAQ.

Good Luck