What's new

Fighting the Upgradeitis (1 Viewer)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Let me start by saying this is more of a vent than anything else but as always all opinions are welcomed

...Now my wife is pretty good about mt HT habits,she's even read my copy of the 'Bits book Complete Guide to HT,she used the term "anamorphic"...she understands aspect ratio...she even got angry when she saw someone purchase "Scarface" in full screen at our local BB...
Sometimes she'll complain when I spend too much on Tuesday's but hey what does she want to spend our money on...BILLS?

Here's my dilemma...we have a Mits 40509 that's 5years old(probably the last CRT model before they went exclusively to projection)...We love the TV...digital cable looks good...DVD's looks awesome...so many great features that I cant even list and it fits PERFECTLY on our Bell'O stand & with the room decor...perfectly...BUT...its not a widescreen...its not HD ready...how do I convince her to buy another tv when there's absolutely nothing wrong with this one...doesn't look like it will break down soon either...with my luck it will last forever...

How can I justify getting rid a perfectly good 40" for a 46" widescreen just because it has componet jacks and is HD ready?

She is dead set against buying another T.V(we have a 27"Sony in our bedroom and a 19"Sharp in the hangout,computer,music,media,dj,workout,????guest room)

Even my younger brother has a 53" HD ready Panasonic...and he can't even spell widescreen...

I'm trying to fight the 'itis...I'm really trying...

Thanks for letting me vent...sorry for the long post

The WAF vs. The Upgradeitis(vs.the bills :D )
Thanks
Jim

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
"Test drive" an InFocus X1. Once your wife sees the big picture, and learns of the $1K pricetag, she'll beg you to upgrade. And you will be kicking yourself for wasting all that money on an RPTV and even considering to waste yet more money on another RPTV.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Agree with Bob Maged...

My family has a 37" Mitsu direct view TV that has been runnign great for 13+ years, and my dad really did not want to add another TV to our extensive 'collection' (We have five TVs in total excl the X1, however, three of the five are older than my 13 year old brother :D, one mits, two toshibas).

When my dad saw how cheap projectors were getting, he was immediately interested... after a few months of research, we decided on the X1.

:b ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
haha! Good idea on the test drive, but watch it. Women aren't as dumb as we think, she may get mad you're still looking for a new display behind her back. ;) Just talk with her about the X1, tell her about the free trial and that maybe it would convince her.. yatta yatta. Or have your bro test drive it and bring your wife to his place. Maybe he'll keep the X1 and sell you his HDTV.

I'm on a struggle with myself to hold out buying a Panny 300 or Z1. Some lady crashed into me but since there was no police report (they wouldn't come if under $1k in damage :rolleyes:) and she insists that it was my fault we both have to use our own insurance companies to pay for the damage. That's a $500 deductible and then the tuition payment with school starting back up and all. :angry:

Oh well it all gets better in the end; when we can actually afford a good FPTV maybe the Panny 500 or Z2 will be within budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks