1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Fight club questions...(SPOILERS GALORE!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Artur Meinild, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Just watched fight club the other night, and while it's a great film there are some things that are really illogical.

For example, when Tyler meets Bob for the 2nd time, Bob tells that he haven't seen Tyler in the Fight Club, because they go different days. But you also get the impression that at that point, Tyler is present every day, because he started the damn thing. I mean, how cold Bob not see Tyler in fight club. Any comments?

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

My only guess is that the Fight Club that Bob goes to wasn't started by Tyler. Later when Jack is having a conversation with Bob they get across the idea that other people are starting up Fight Clubs.

...or it could just be an oversight.

3. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I just have to add my 2 cents, even though I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute to this thread. The "narrator's" name in the movie played by Edward Norton does not have a name. We are to assume that his name really is "Tyler Durden" and not "Jack."

Jack was from the magazine articles that he was reading.

4. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I was always under the impression that Tyler and Jack went together (obviously), and that those were the only days Tyler went. Doesn't Bob mention something about only "hearing" about Tyler Durden? I could be wrong. I'll have to watch that scene when I get home later.

-Dean-

7. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

Presumably Tyler just entrusted a member of Fight Club to start running them on other nights whilst he wouldn't be there. After all, it sounds like it is the same club at the same location, just a different night.

8. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I'm not sure how puzzling it is. I may be off but I'm pretty sure they talked about different fight clubs forming before "Jack"/Tyler runs into Bob on the street. I think at that point, the phenomena was already taking off which is why "Jack" is miffed that Bob gives Tyler all the credit.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

A spoiler warning in the thread title or first post would have been nice...

--
    Holadem

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Okay, I've added a spoiler warning to the thread title.

11. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Iain has it right, IMHO.

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

13. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Is Marla real?

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes.

Remember even Tyler is "real", meaning a real person called Tyler Durden is interacting with other real people in the film and the film never cheats on the perceptions of those other people.

But at the end we would have a cheat were Marla to be yet another personality of "Jack" because the other people are interacting with both at the same time. That doesn't happen elsewhere. Only deluded Jack places himself in his own reality which I have always said was his brain's method for resolving the inconsistencies with his split personality. If he didn't do this (such as see himself observing Tyler) he would be forced to realize that he was Tyler, and clearly his brain was not willing to do that for most of the film.

Also, I say (as do some others) that Marla is the biggest cause of Tyler because she induces stress in Jack. Every time Tyler begins to appear it's right at a point of mental stress (or exhaustion), like Marla ruining his situation or when Jack is uncomfortable with hugging someone (when the group leader mentions it). Marla is a real pressure on him while Tyler is his fantasy outlet for these pressures.

15. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

iirc from the dvd everyone called Edward Nortons character 'Jack'.

16. Todd Terwilliger

Nigel,

I think you're mistaken. I don't think anyone in the film refers to Edward Norton by any name. "Jack" arises from the series of picture books he finds in the old house: the "I am Jack's ____" books. From there, he begins using those phrases in his thoughts. No one else uses the name.

17. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Exactly! I think that if we are going to call Edward Norton's character by ANY name, it should at least be a name he used in the movie, such as:

Rupert
    Cornelius (I have no idea how to spell this)

"Jack" is a very inappropriate name for him, because he never used it. He was only reading those magazines.

18. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i think he meant the commentaries called him jack, ie: norton, fincher and pitt

19. Todd Terwilliger

I think in that instance they call him "Jack" because it's an easy way to differentiate his character from Tyler. I don't think they mean it as his actual name.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Re-watch Helen Bonham Carter's performance as Marla, she does a phenomenal job playing a woman in a relationship with a schizo.