Fight Club question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I was just wondering about Fight Club, I think I'm going to buy it for "special 20th DVD" sight unseen (I buy a lot of my movies that way and have enjoyed everyone.)Anyways I was wondering is "Fight Club" more of a satire like "American Psycho" or is it more of an action movie?I've heard everyone remark about how they like it but if it is more of satire than an action movie I'm not sure if it will be my thing. Could someone please answer that for me, please don't spoil any of the movie either. Thanks.
    -Keith-

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Fight Club is more of an indictment of modern culture than an outright satire of it.
    I really don't want to offer any preconcieved notions to you. My advice would be to rent or borrow the DVD from someone first. Within the first 25 minutes, you'll know if you want to own this DVD or not.
    I'm a massive fan of this film and have actually received angry emails from movie fans who took exception to me calling Fight Club "the Citizen Kane of my generation." Simply put, I'd list it among the finest movies I've ever seen. And I don't throw around statements like that too lightly.
    Let me know what you think once you've seen it.
    And keep your eyes peeled for subliminal Durdens! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yes...it is by no means an action movie. I'd also suggest reading the book (of which the movie was based on) ...gives yet another perspective to the characters with an interesting writing style.
    ------------------
    Latest Additions: Wayne's World: The Complete Epic, Die Hard Collection
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi...At last, we will have revenge."
    3 more months...

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Personally, I think that Fight Club was IMHO THE best film of the 90s... Never have I seen a movie that has sooo much replay value, every time I watch it I see something new that I haven't seen before... I have probably watched the DVD 20 times or more through either by myself or with friends... It is both smart, funny, and a well written adaption of the book and stays true MOST of the time to the original material (which is also a kick ass book)
    Also if you have a 5.1 system, this is one of my favorite discs to demo my system with...
    I sure hope that Dave Fincher directs some more Chuck Palahiuk stuff (if you are interested in his other books, Check out Invisible Monsters and Survivor...good stuff)
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

5. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Kudos guys you summed up my opinions on this film very well indeed. Not only is this such a great movie but this is a must own DVD! Reference video, reference sound (the best to date IMHO), excellent extras, wonderful packaging to boot.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I am extremely hesitant to list such a recent film among my all-time favorites..... and yet, I keep watching it over and over. If it's NOT one of my favorites, why is it in my player so much?
    Hmmmm.....
    Okay, I give up. It's one of my favorites!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My collection:
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

7. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Definitley one of my fav movies and one of the BEST dvd's reference all the way!

8. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Great movie & while I'm not gonna go on a rave about it i just had to put in my two cents.......
    Personaly I think Citizen Kane is overrated!
    I know i'm gonna get flamed for that one,oh well but it's how i feel!

9. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

It also is in my top 5 for favorite films ever! I rented it, and after watching it literally went out and bought it that night!
    Matt
    ------------------
    ....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
    NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!

10. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

awesome movie, i would buy it sight unseen especially if you did like american psycho. fight club has a more serious tone to it than AP - AP i felt "spoofed" the 80s. fight club is more of a social commentary. norton and pitt are awesome. not only that, but this is one of the best sounding dvds i have in my collection. i highly recommend this one.

11. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

i've got to second the recommendation on reading the book. excellent stuff..
    and the dvd set is well worth the money spent in either renting or purchasing.
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville