What's new

Fight club (my opinion) (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I was expecting it to be the Citizen Kane of the next millennium and I was very disappointed.
I am so glad it wasn't the Citizen Kane of the next Millenium. I am one of the few people who doesn't think Citizen Kane deserves all of the praise it receives. It is a good film, but IMHO, not even close to being the best ever.
Fight Club is in the Top 5 Best Films of the last decade, IMHO, and should have been nominated and won Best Picture.
I'll take Fight Club over Citizen Kane any day. I would also take Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goodfellas, Patton, Godfather 1 and 2, etc., etc., etc.... over Citizen Kane.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The end had me scratching my head...usually bullets do a lot more damage, but who am I to second guess a perfect movie?
Here's the explanation about that....
Spoiler:"Jack" was shown pointing the gun directly at the back of his mouth, but in reality it was pointing to the side. His pointing of it towards his brains was just a symbol of his desire to kill Tyler, and when he pulled the trigger the bullet went through his cheek and Tyler was no more. "What's that smell?" :)
-Tom

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The reason why I had such high expectations of this movie is because people were praising it so damn much, making it sound like the best film ever made. Sorry, no.
Tom,
Good point but....
Spoiler:
If Jack did that to "kill" Tyler, then it seems even more ridiculous that this was a solution to the problem since Tyler can come back at any moment. This is what bugged me the most - Tyler crept out of Jack's insomnia. Who said he can't come back in a minute? A day? A month? What got resolved? I don't think I'm looking too much into this since it seems perfectly logical that unless Jack kills himself, Tyler can always come back.

Mike
------------------
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think this thread would be more appropriate for the "Movies" forum so I'm moving it. BTW I hated "Fight Club".
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
*********SPOILERS*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS******* **
Norton's unnamed character (not "Jack" it seems) shooting himself was a symbolic gesture of how he wanted to "kill" the Tyler aspect of his personality and in making such a drastic move he nailed home (for himself) his true resolve to rid himself and the world of his out of control "Tyler Durden" ..........umm, also I think there was something about his being INSANE.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."
[Edited last by Kevin M on August 29, 2001 at 07:37 PM]

Gabriel Martin

Auditioning
Also, everybody has a bad side in himself and we all know it's suppose to be on our left. Edward shot himself to the left which caused the death of his bad side...
------------------
G a B
"Yes my real name is Gabriel Martin and no, I don't like The Patriot"
My DVD Collection

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
********SPOILAHS**********SPOILAHS**********SPOILA HS******
Jack's (the props from the film have his name as 'Jack Moore', so I'll still call him that for ease of convo!) 'killing' of Tyler is indeed symbolic of a few things.
It's a coming-of-age film, and the premise Finch et al. were going on is this -- in order to mature, you must first kill your parents, kill God and kill your teacher. As the film begins, Jack has completed step one. He lives on his own successfully and has little contact with his parents.
Tyler and Jack proceed to destroy God and plenty of other concepts along the way. Jack eventually reaches the point where he can firmly step forward on his own path. The fact that his teacher's path and his have diverged means that Tyler's job is complete. It's time for him to die.
Shooting himself in the head (cheek) is Jack's statement of 'I've hit bottom on my own. Fuck off.' This is the moment Tyler has been pushing him towards throughout the whole film. No more weekend-retreat premature enlightenment stuff. He's done it.
And is now free to embrace the one thing about himself he was most afraid to face -- his affection for Marla. I hear many people complain about the ending of the film, but I think that final image of him holding Marla's hand as the buildings explode is just plain old brilliant.
So Tyler will not be coming back for Jack since there is no more need for him. Jack has faced up to and taken control of the thoughts that Tyler personified. He's no longer the Jack from the beginning of the film nor Tyler, but a balance between the two.
And then there's that great penis splice that questions whether or not we audience members have a Tyler of our own.
Great stuff!
Oh yeah -- AND he was insane! :)
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is going to sound really off the wall but when Tyler gives his speaches and rants, I think the movies hits a generation much like, say a movie like HEATHERS, would hit those in high school.
I bought the DVD based on the praise given to it from this forum. I wasn't disappointed.
Matt

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
Fight Club is one of my favourite movies and on par with Se7en as David Finchers best work. Brad Pitt is a great actor but why this Tom Cruise bashing? Tom was great in Rain Man, Jerry Maquire and Magnolia. He stars in popcorn flicks from time to time but he has proved he can act. And why is Brad Pitt called a "pretty boy"?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes "Tyler Durden" is a necessary side of (most) every man's psyche so we all don't fall into the extreme emasculating consumerzombie trap that (The Author's FC commentary states that his name indeed isn't really Jack so I'll stick to that) Norton finds himself in at the beginning of the film but his "Tyler" got way out of control, due to Norton's...umm mental problems, and had to be subdued.
......and he was crazy.
Tom Cruise is a good actor but he pretty much plays the same two character's in his films, "the smart ass who get's knocked down a few blocks and learns to be a better man" or "the common man who overcomes adversity", the same could be said for Harrison Ford I guess. At least Brad Pitt has tried to stretch a bit in the array of characters he has taken on.
Sure Cruise played the evil Lestat but that's pretty much it.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

Junaid

Auditioning
Mike
Fight Club 2 - Return of the Tyler
blush.gif

yes i loved this movie too. i think it's the Citizen Kane for our generation. a brilliant movie that was critically overlooked (some reviewers gave it 2 stars
eek.gif
), but will attain legendary status in the future.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
"Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."
[Edited last by Junaid on September 01, 2001 at 08:26 PM]

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler was (insanely) invented in order to help usher the Narrator from point A to point B. His purpose was fulfilled, and he was no longer needed.
There was a rhyme to Jack's (un)reason after all.
Worrying about Tyler's return is like worrying about your training wheels coming back to haunt you after you've learned to ride your bike balancing.
Though I suppose he could pop up in someone else's world. Say... like some HTFers who watched 'Fight Club' one too many times!
Hey! Did anyone just see a single frame blip of Brad Pitt over there? :)
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
quote: I see Pitt as our generations Robert Redford. [/quote]
Brad would agree with you, and would not mind if you added "this generations James Dean" also. :)
[Edited last by Jim Armstrong on September 02, 2001 at 09:51 AM]

Craig

Second Unit
Add me to the 'hated it' list.
After watching it I had a vision of a bunch of 16 year olds whacking on each other in their parents rec room then going to school the next day bragging about this secret club they're in, but can't really talk about.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I liked it but once you get the maguffin it sort of becomes pointless with successive watchings because you know what to look for. Rather like Memento. I did like it but think it was atrociously marketed as some macho, "see-brad-half-naked" kind of deal about a bunch of urban yuppie WASPs beating each other up; VanDamme with a better script. Either way it was much better than I thought it would be but it took a lot of pressure on the part of my friends to get me to see it. I wonder how many other people have passed it by for the same reason?
Thanks,
Jason Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks