What's new

Fight club (my opinion) (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I wanted to post this here because HTF pushed me towards this DVD for my 20th DVD. My personal opinion about the movie is that I liked it, I really liked it. I bought the movie sight unseen and contrary to what some critics said I thought the film was very good although it was a little strange. The DVD itself looked and sounded quite good on my low end HT set-up, I was especially pleased with the sound. Fight Club is easily a new demo disc to truly show off the strengths of my system. Thanks HTF for leading me towards this great movie and it's excellent DVD counter-part.
-Keith-

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Man...would we ever steer you wrong? Fight Club is an amazing movie that has a lot of depth to it, more than just men beating each other to a pulp. I was quite impressed.
I was an Edward Norton fan before I saw this, but I'm a bigger fan of his now. He really was the voice of the movie, and I don't know of many other actors that could've made it work as well.
This is one of my top-ten favorite flicks.
And the extras are amazing too. They really went to town on these. Am I the only one who wishes they actually played the PDA's in theatres? They would have been hysterical.
"And remember, no one has the right to touch you in you bathing suit area."
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
And ever since I upgraded my system to DD/DTS capability (yes I know dts is NOT applicable here), the "plane crash" sequence is easily the best audio demonstration of DYNAMIC RANGE that I have ever heard.
------------------

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I forgot to mention my mother saw this with me and liked it, she hates half the movies I see. (most of my movies are action.)
-Keith-

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Brad Pitt showed he could act in 12 Monkeys, although after that he seemed to lack a little, until Fight Club.
Unfortunately for me I fell ill the last time I watched this movie. It was in no way related to watching the movie, but I may have a hard time getting by that psychologically, especially since this movie is stressful in a way to watch. I find that towards the end, when Jack is figuring out what has happened and is trying to figure out how to stop it, it really hits me hard. I rarely care that much for a character in a movie, but damn I don't see how you can't feel sorry for the guy.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention my mother saw this with me and liked it, she hates half the movies I see.
You watched "Fight Club" with your mom??? Whoa... you've got one really cool mother. :)
(My mother would've been turned off just by the title.)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Anyone who doesnt think Brad Pitt can act obviously hasnt ever seen Kalifornia, Snatch, or 12 Monkeys.

TysonN

Agent
Or Se7en or Legends of the Fall. In fact his only "weak" performance that comes to mind is Meet Joe Black. It was just out of his range for the moment. I think in another 10 years he will easily be able to handle a role such as that. I see Pitt as our generations Robert Redford. People dismiss him because of his good looks, but the guy has some serious acting chops. In 20 years people will be falling all over themselves proclaiming what a great actor he is (just like with Redford). JMHO, of course.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
1. I don't like most movies.
2. I hate the vast majority of current movies.
3. I liked Fight Club
It was actually pretty damn cool.
As much as I make fun of pretty-boy celebrities in general, Pitt can act. He's way beyond the likes of Cruise, Cage and the like. He was fantastic in Legends of the Fall, Seven, and 12 Monkeys. He wasn't really bad in Joe Black, it was just a stupid movie. No one could have turned that awful script into anything watchable. I mean, if Pitt and Hopkins couldn't make it good, no one could.
Unrelated, but when was the last time Anthony Hopkins was in a good role?

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Cruise is an amazing actor, and I disagree that Pitt is "way beyond" him. Have you seen Born on the 4th of July or Magnolia? Tom Cruise was brilliant in both. Back to topic..Fight Club is probably my favorite audio mix out on dvd. It is subtle when it needs to be yet extremely directional and powerful as well. It is the type of movie that uses sound in interesting ways, and that is part of the fun. Though some prefer Saving Private Ryan or Toy Story 2, I definitely would give the nod to Fight Club.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I love Fight Club it is easily one of my most watched dvds. The disc is loaded with extras and is reference a/v wise. Also this movie has some GREAT quotes! Hmm I am having the urge to watch now cya later guys!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I hated it. I really wanted to like it, but I think that it was so overhyped that I was expecting it to be the Citizen Kane of the next millennium and I was very disappointed.
The end had me scratching my head...usually bullets do a lot more damage, but who am I to second guess a perfect movie?
icon13.gif

Mike
------------------
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland

James Waddell

Auditioning
I'm another fan of Fight Club. I loved it the first time I saw it in the cinema and it has stood up to repeated viewings on my home setup. I also like Brad Pitt, not only is he a decent actor but he also does the odd commentary track (Se7en and Fight Club spring to mind, any others?)...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tom Cruise is a movie star with pretty boy looks, while Brad Pitt is an ACTOR with pretty boy looks. Pitt simply disappears into the role he inhabits, I don't find the same quality with Cruise.
I'd put Fight Club on my all-time Top 10 list. It's briskly paced, and devilishly fun to watch. Norton's narration sets the tone of the film quite well.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Great movie (although the first 1/2 is better than the second 1/2) and a great disc. Another example of a great Fincher movie/disc is Seven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks